SVCD menu...

stuart

Is it possible to create an SVCD compliant menu with an animated
background (Movie file), with audio and intereactive menu links to
various movie files?

If so, how on earth do I do this!?

Thanks

Stuart wrote:

> Is it possible to create an SVCD compliant menu with an animated
> background (Movie file), with audio and intereactive menu links to
> various movie files?
>
> If so, how on earth do I do this!?
>
> Thanks

animated... I don't think so
--

if I haven't given a url with my answer, try typing the keywords into
google.com

> Is it possible to create an SVCD compliant menu with an animated
> background (Movie file), with audio and intereactive menu links to
> various movie files?
>
> If so, how on earth do I do this!?
>
> Thanks

Yes, it is possible, but compatibility isn't very good with hardware
players. Playback Control isn't anywhere near as well supported for SVCD as
it is for VCD.

You can use any software you like to create the menus, Premiere, After
Effects, etc, and VCDeasy or TSCV will let you author it. I think Nero and
some of the Ulead MovieWhatever packages let you create SVCD menus too, but
I am not 100% sure.

There are loads of guides available on www.videohelp.com as well as samples
you can download and burn to check compatibility with your player.

strutter

I've tried using the Nero VisionExpress authoring tool.

It creates eveything very nicely. i.e. an intro movie file before the menu
appears, and a background animated with audio.

My only query now is... the menu is not interactive. As in you still have to
key the movie file number on your keypad to select a movie to play. Is this
because it's not possible as per the SVCD standard, or is it a limitation of
the software?

Thanks again.

> My only query now is... the menu is not interactive. As in you still have
> key the movie file number on your keypad to select a movie to play. Is
this
> because it's not possible as per the SVCD standard, or is it a limitation
of
> the software?

Yes, you can't have overlay highlights like with DVD, but you can kind of
fake it, if you're clever.

strutter

Ta for your quick response Adam...

Assuming I'm a dumb-shite...how would you think to conjur up such fakeness?
:eek:)

Ta

"Adam H" <dfghjkl@fghjkl.ur> wrote in message
> > My only query now is... the menu is not interactive. As in you still
have
> > key the movie file number on your keypad to select a movie to play. Is
> this
> > because it's not possible as per the SVCD standard, or is it a
limitation
> of
> > the software?
>
> Yes, you can't have overlay highlights like with DVD, but you can kind of
> fake it, if you're clever.

> Ta for your quick response Adam...
>
> Assuming I'm a dumb-shite...how would you think to conjur up such
fakeness?
> :eek:)

You could create almost identical copies of the menu screen each with a
different selection highligted in some way. You could then lock out the
numeric input and use the <<- and ->> to navigate. It will be a little bit
slower than a DVD menu of course, but the upside is that you could use a
much cooler highlight effect, such as a glow, make the selection expand, an
embedding effect, etc, etc...