svchost.exe High CPU Usage

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
Hey!

svchost.exe Local System is using about 25% of my CPU usage, it has only started doing this about two weeks ago. I'm running virus scans but it is in the System32 folder so I doubt it's anything too bad.

I've had this issue before and managed to solve it, but now it's back and stressing tf out of my CPU. It's constantly 10 degrees hotter.

When I got it fixed last time my CPU usually used ~<10%

Thank you for all responses

Solution
browse
C:\Windows and find "SoftwareDistribution" folder
hold on, dont open it

run cmd as administrator and type
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
net stop wuauserv

then rename "SoftwareDistribution" folder to anything like SoftwareDistributionx
then open windows update and check for update, it should be no more problem and will update smoothly, after updated svchost should wont be high cpu usage anymore
one thing to look at when it running high cpu open the task manager possess then open for all processes highlight the svchost.exe that's running things up right click and choose go to services and review the services to see whats listed to run under that svchost.exe .

then you can se if there windows services or what ever to determine if its a necessary service or not

like the one that bumps up my cpu controls my wireless internet stuff

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

This is the service using the most of my CPU Usage: http://imgur.com/FgdKaL1

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

I normally keep my PC pretty clean from Third Party stuff; but I find it hard determining what is and isn't a Windows Process.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

'There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800705b4)'. That's all what shows when I got to the Windows Update section.

Background Intelligence Transfer Service is on Manual but is currently Running.
Delivery Optimization is on Automatic (Delayed) but is currently Running.
Windows Update is on Manual (Triggered) but is currently Running.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

Just went back to try updating but now it just says 'Checking for updates...'.

but I find it hard determining what is and isn't a Windows Process

that can be the trick

so I choose what svchost.exe I want to look at click on it to go to services then see what services are highlighted then google that service

ok this svchost.exe services are power- plug and play and dcomlaunch and the ones showing to use the high cpu

so I google windows services dcomlaunch and find things like this and start to research on what it is/does and what maybe the cause ??

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Server/Windows_Server_2008/Q_28374790.html

The svchost process in question was shown to be a valid process hosting windows services. TheJJBman11 linked an image of it in his second post.

You are correct in that some malware do try to disguise themselves as Windows processes, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I don't see where that tells me anything ??? of the 15 listed now witch one ?? my way brakes that down

I got 11 svchost.exe running each one handles a set or just one os service tasks that each controls in a pid group one listed mat handle the network services one handles the dcom and so on and weather its stopped or running

Crixilian

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
browse
C:\Windows and find "SoftwareDistribution" folder
hold on, dont open it

run cmd as administrator and type
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
net stop wuauserv

then rename "SoftwareDistribution" folder to anything like SoftwareDistributionx
then open windows update and check for update, it should be no more problem and will update smoothly, after updated svchost should wont be high cpu usage anymore

Solution
You can see which svchost is having performance issues in the task manager. What you can't see is exactly which services which are located in that particular svchost are causing the problem, but again, we already know he is having issues with windows update because he said it was giving errors. We also know that at least three services in that host are related to windows update because the image he posted shows us this. Furthermore, two of them are manually started, so they should only be running when windows update needs them to.

Logic dictates that windows update is thus the most likely cause and the solution is to force the updates to finish. Thank you Crixilian for a more detailed guide on that.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

Slight spanner in the works being that apparently 'wuauserv' or Windows Update Service 'could not be stopped'.

Shall I try after a reboot?

You can't break it down. svhost.exe is the name gives to shared libraries (generic pieces of program code which other programs can call as needed). All 15 of those processes are registered to use that particular library in that svhost.exe, so you can't tell which one is responsible for the CPU use when that library is being run.

I'd concur that Windows Update is probably the culprit. That's been my experience as well, especially if it gets stuck (happened to my dad's laptop and was constantly running the CPU at 100%). You will just have to wait for it to finish updating, or find a way to force it to update. On my dad's laptop, I had to cancel all the pending updates, then install them one at a time to clear up the problem. Apparently it was getting stuck in a loop trying to install two particular updates at the same time. It didn't help that he hadn't rebooted in nearly 2 months and there were a huge number of updates waiting for a reboot, so it was impossible to figure out which updates were conflicting.

Crixilian

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015

if it couln't be stopped, you could rename it through safe mode

start > power > (hold shift) restart

if its windows update then in processes there should be one called trustedinstallerexe. running up cpu as well

the one that can be a issue is superfetch this can act up as well and one of the first ones I look at or into ?? you may can teel if your also seeing high hard drive activity along with the cpu useage

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015

Trusted Installer is apparently 'Stopped' currently.
My Disk Usage seems fine.
I read something about Superfetch and have recently put it on Manual opposed to Automatic.

Crixilian

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
do this few step, on task manager go to services tab, sort by PID then go to details tab sort by CPU Usage
and see which is the highest cpu usage, if it is svchost.exe right click on it and choose go to service(s), and see what are highlighted

TRENDING THREADS