[SOLVED] svchost.exe uses 30-40% GPU in idle! (RTX2080)

Mar 24, 2020
Hello!
I have been noticing this issue in the past weeks. I searched in the internet and already ran malwarebytes and the sfc. But I could not find any problems.
Altough my Windows is up to date the svchost.exe stats with high gpu ussages shortly after I booted my pc.
You have any ideas or solutions for me?

Solution
Okay I got it fixed myself. It was no Virus or Malware which was causing the high gpu usage when chrome was opened. It was the windows game bar capture who detected chrome as a Game and therefore sucked up some gpu for prerecording for clipping. I was able to remove chrome as a game after some research(most of the tutorials were old and the location of this setting changed so it was harder to find)

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

svchost.exe (Service Host, or SvcHost) is a system process which hosts multiple Windows services. It is essential in the implementation of so-called shared service processes, where a number of services can share a process in order to reduce resource consumption.

Sometimes viruses can spoof themselves as system files.

Method 1: Place the computer in clean boot and see if that helps:

A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application services or startup item is causing this issue.

Note: After you have finished diagnosing, follow step 7 in the article to boot to normal startup.

Method 2: Refer the following article to download and install Windows Defender Offline

What is Windows Defender Offline?
Here.

Mar 24, 2020
@Abhinav2005 I have some interesting News. When I cleanbooted my pc everything seemed normal. I watched the taskmanger but nothing changed! It stayed at 0-2%. Then I started Chrome and the svchost.exe went back to 30-40% but as soon as I closed it it went back to 0-2%. I also have a seccond instance of chrome called (portable-chrome https://portableapps.com/de/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable ) which I use for banking and private stuff. When I opend this one the svchost.exe remained normal at 0-2%. Knowing this I unistalled the official Chrome and reinstalled it, thinking it would solve the problem but NO! As soon as I started the freshly installed chrome the svchost.exer went back to 30-40%.

Any thoughts on that?

Edit: I also removed any extensions in chrome

I also have discord if anyone could try and solve it together with me.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020
Okay I got it fixed myself. It was no Virus or Malware which was causing the high gpu usage when chrome was opened. It was the windows game bar capture who detected chrome as a Game and therefore sucked up some gpu for prerecording for clipping. I was able to remove chrome as a game after some research(most of the tutorials were old and the location of this setting changed so it was harder to find)

Solution