_aurora_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I dont know if this is the right place, but all of a sudden something called svchost.exe uses more and more RAM until it reaches 100% (4GB) and then the computer becomes very laggy and then unresponsive. I dont know why this has started happening but I really need to get it sorted.

Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
hey aurora - i never experienced this problem, but given that nobody replied to your post, i googled it and i think this might be of interest (and help) to you... let us know how it turns out! Good luck. :)

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
svchost.exe is part of Windows management of network, the sudden rise in memory usage could be a damaged registry, or a virus designed to simply lagg your computer to death (annoying isn't it...). You could purchase Anti-viral software, or use a free one (Avast Antivirus is what I recommend), or attempt to use a registry cleaner, most registry cleaners will cost money if you want them to fix anything, that is the unfortunate downside.

_aurora_

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Thanks omnimodis. Yesterday I cleaned the registry, and tried running a virus scan but after about 5 mins of the scan, it would be laggy then stop. I tried all kinds of things even unplugging the computer to reset the bios, but nothing worked.
Now this morning when I turned it on, everything is fine, done a virus check and nothing. Really dont know what that was about. But thanks for your replies.