SW Single Processor Mode Question

G

Hello,

I recently upgraded my dads processor, here are the specs (OEM eMachines)

Pentium 4 631 ---------> Upgraded to Pentium D 950
Intel D102GGC2 Motherboard
1 x 2 GB Ram (667 MHz)
300W stock PSU
IDE 160 GB 7200 rpm

Here is my problem, the CPU is running and the drivers are installed and everything is fine except for the fact that the OS only boots with SW Single Processor Mode enabled. When I disabled it, unlocking the CPU to it's full potential, the OS doesn't boot and I can't even boot in Safe Mode.

I initially though that the problem was lack of power, so I installed a 485W PSU out of my mother's computer. Hoping it would resolve the issue and lead me to get a better PSU, it did not solve the problem.

I need help, is there something else that needs to be done when upgrading from single core to a dual core??

G

I attempted to update the BIOs with an Intel based upgrade, however I couldn't because it is an eMachines OEM version. So the flash was unsuccessful.

Question...why would it be a BIOs issue if the BIOs detects the chip and every partially gets into the Windows loading screen. The computer is also fully functional with 1 core operating.

I don't think its a problem with the CPU, what I originally thought was that there was a lack of power being supplied from the PSU. Which is why I've come here I have exhausted all of my options.

G

The background research has been done, I researched it down to the specific sSpec number as well. The motherboard supports the SL95V with a BIOS updated to 1065 or greater.

However that 1065 is an Intel MB flash, The version I have is for eMachines MB and is dated on Dec 2006, 11 months after this chip was released. I have read cases where people have flashed eMachine versions to Intel versions successfully, I haven't been able to do that.

G

GC11020M.15A.2024....is what I have. eMachines hasn't released any updates, but Intel has a bunch but the naming convention is

GC11020M.86A....I would need the 1065 according to them but I am using an OEM board.

G

Thanks anyway, at this point it is still an learning experience and I welcoming any other alternatives for me to try.

I might even consider a new board because this board is outdated, but for what it is being used for I still think it is sufficient and a dual core would add a few more years to it.

G

Thank you 13thmonkey, I read that on another forum. I did re-install Windows multiple times, both XP Pro and Vista HB. What do I have to do about the HAL.

if its been a reinstall then its been done. At the point of install the hardware abstraction layer identifies and loads drivers for the hardware. So if you swap low level components, process & mobo without prepping windows reinitialise the HAL then there will be trouble as it won't know what to do with the connected hardware.
I'm out of ideas then.

G

Come to think of it, I believe I re-installed Vista but on the P4 and then swapped the chips. Because I had to physically delete the old CPU in device manager. I think originally when I was re-installing Windows with the Pentium D I think my computer would shut down during the install process after it loads up the installation files to my hard disk.

I'm not sure, what you have done might have been it, but googling for hal reinitialization might give you want you need. Its not really advised. If you try and start to install windows, i.e. before it commits anything to disk you'll at least prove that the mobo works.

G

So I should go and re-install Windows with the Pentium D hooked up and then I can finally boot into Windows with the SW Single Processor Mode disabled.

I will try that when I get home from work.

Thanks again, abekl and 13thmonkey.

G

So I attempted to re-install Windows, didn't work. However there are maybe 1 or 2 instances where I have been able to get into windows and in task manager see both Cores then I can only go as far as the device manager before the computer restarts. This lead me to believe that perhaps it was an overheating issue because 485W should be enough power for onboard graphics and this Pentium D. I cleaned the HSF and the Processor and then re-applied the thermal compound (single spec dead in the middle). I still get the issue.

I go to check my Computer in Device Manager and it shows 3 files and 2 of them are fore sure named
Halmacpi.dll
Halaacpi.dll

That means the computer will recognize a second core right?

Any thoughts?

G

Actually, I swapped in a second D 950 and it works, I re-installed Windows and it works. However I am just wondering why it's running at 2400 MHz as opposed to it's rated 3400 MHz. The bus speed is at 200 MHz, what would be causing that.