SW:TOR "Will More Than Compete" With WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
It's Star Wars, it's Bioware. I don't know if it can "more" than compete, but it will certainly compete and be a successful game.
It might even sway me to subscription based games, after all this time...

Mastervivi10

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I Don't know man, Many have been the past tittles that have attempted to be the next Wow-killer, and look at them now!.

But I'll play SW as long as i can be a wooky!

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
im not sure why but i dont like future mmorpgs i need swords and arrows and i dont like wow at all, altho i did like playing city of heroes

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]im not sure why but i dont like future mmorpgs i need swords and arrows and i dont like wow at all, altho i did like playing city of heroes[/citation]

lol, I'm the opposite. Give me laser-burning starships or give me death! I'm soo pumped for TOR. (And Dust514, orbital strikes FTW ;-))

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]I am really hoping EA doesn't pull a bait and switch and throw some ridiculous client side DRM onto this game as well as screw up something great.[/citation]It's a subscription-based MMO. They don't need that level of DRM. If you're a paying customer with a valid account, you're good to go.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Doesericsleep[/nom]SWG was awesome... for a while.[/citation]

Aye. Have you been following http://swgemu.com at all? I was pretty involved with the project for awhile but resigned because of school.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
That's cool and all comparing it to a 7 year old MMORPG. Question is, will it still be able to "more than compete" with Blizzard's new MMO IP?

G

I will never play a game that is subscription based. Monthly fees are stupid. Why should I have to pay for game then also keep paying to play ?

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I don't know if anyone is a bigger fan of KOTOR and ME than me, but Bioware's attitude throughout the development of this MMO has been shockingly poor. It's humorous that they start out mocking WoW (Funcom?), then arrogantly making claims about their game in relationship to WoW, and now throwing out lines like "we respect Blizz...but."

Blizzard on the otherhand, with nothing to prove, has been quite polite.

I hope TOR is as good as we were promised and deserves the arrogance surrounded by it's executive producers.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Roscoe95[/nom]I will never play a game that is subscription based. Monthly fees are stupid. Why should I have to pay for game then also keep paying to play ?[/citation]

Considering you get updates and a support staff might have something to do with it.

azureskys

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]im not sure why but i dont like future mmorpgs i need swords and arrows and i dont like wow at all, altho i did like playing city of heroes[/citation]

Have you played Mount & Blade: Warband? There's a multiplayer mod called cRPG which is sort of a mmorpg and the best sword, cavalry, and archery game I've ever played. It's got a bit of a steep learning curve, though. I wish it would grow to have the single player system in a multiplayer world, which cRPG is sort of getting at.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]Doesericsleep[/nom]SWG was awesome... for a while.[/citation]
Yah about 1 month... when i sold my maxed out account.

SWG had MEGA potential

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
@Hope Slayer - Thats the case for every single non-subscription based game too. You're basically just paying to use their servers, since you usually have to pay for major updates/expansions anyway. Sure, you don't have to pay to use the companies servers in other games, but thats just mmos for you.

I've probably said this before, but people need to stop copying everquest and make an original MMO for once. There's so much potential in the KOTOR universe, and they just throw it all away so they can make another everquest reskin like WoW. I guess it sells, but that doesn't mean something else wouldn't. There are a lot of people out there like myself that like the massively multiplayer aspect but don't want to play everquest.

Maybe it's technical limitations or something forcing every single mmo to use the same basic system...

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I have come to the conclusion that your first MMORPG which you invest time into will be your favorite.

It didn’t matter to me how awesome WoW was, it couldn’t compete with my first true love Asherson’s Call, where I first discovered everyone was in the same game (mmorpg). I am certain this is true for all the ever quest boys as well… they will always have deep feelings for EQ. I am not saying WoW isn’t better, I am saying WoW wasn’t first.

I have tried a lot of MMORPG to find that one that would replace my original addiction but they all come short. Frankly I don’t think it is possible anymore… your first MMORPG has something that no other will ever have. Originality to you… I certainly don’t believe that Asheron’s Call was the best MMORPG ever, but because it was my first where I learned what MMORPG meant it will always be the best to me.

Now in my old age (36) I have all but given up on MMORPG… After trying about 20 my standard routine is set in stone. I play for a month get bored and begin building a bot which I run till im banned. WoW I managed to run a bot for 1year 24/7, I made a few bucks there :)

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]it couldn’t compete with my first true love Asherson’s Call[/citation]

Asheron's Call was my first as well, though I know what made the difference between it and others.....

The developers and staff actually focused on non-pvp and solo gameplay, didn't hurt either that they had some of the best story writering EVER in a game and tied the world you ran around in very well with it. Being able to run from one coast of the island to the other with never having to zone didn't hurt either. I literally use to spend weeks hunting shadow people in the wilds and only comming to towns to resupply and sell loot, then if I wanted to do a big quest with friends I could do it and actually walk away with something useful and not have wasted 5-6 hours for just a 2 percent chance at something that only spawn dropped 2 percent of the time.

Game developers really need to realize that if you build a MMO game that focuses on the aspects of the solo player the multiplayer aspects will just come naturally. Hopefully Bioware is doing just that and from what I've read they may have some good footholds already started.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If there is any IP that will get me to play an MMO, its SW. I'm just not into fantasy MMOs for some reason. Maybe its because I get my fantasy fix by playing Elder Scrolls games and they blow every other RPG (MMO or otherwise) out of the water. Can't wait for 11/11/11.

G

This will come at an opportune time if they can get out before the end of the year. The latest expansion for World of Warcraft has really soured a lot of players and they are looking for an excuse to bolt. Right now there really isn't anything comparable in the MMO world so Blizzard can still bank on the lack of competition. With the Star Wars lore being so well known it will be easy for players to get into which could steal some valuable customers from Warcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.