Question Swap a Corsair 1000w modular for a 750w modular

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I'm buying a new system to replace my old one, but carrying over a few components - the PSU us one of them. Its a Corsair HX1000.

I've got a spare Corsair TX750M, and plan on swapping this into my old PC (i7 9700K, 64Gb DDR4, probably a GTX1070, but maybe an RTX3070Ti, 1 x M2 and maybe an SSD or HDD.)

Firstly, I'm assuming the TX750M will cope??

Secondly, given they're both modular PSUs, can I just swap the unit and leave the relevant cables in place?? Or do I need to swap the cables out too?

Thanks! :)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm buying a new system to replace my old one, but carrying over a few components - the PSU us one of them. Its a Corsair HX1000.

I've got a spare Corsair TX750M, and plan on swapping this into my old PC (i7 9700K, 64Gb DDR4, probably a GTX1070, but maybe an RTX3070Ti, 1 x M2 and maybe an SSD or HDD.)

Firstly, I'm assuming the TX750M will cope??

Secondly, given they're both modular PSUs, can I just swap the unit and leave the relevant cables in place?? Or do I need to swap the cables out too?

Thanks! :)
For the cables only use what comes with the PSU.
Depends on the model and year Corsair uses type 3, 4, and 5 cables not to be switched.

Reactions: James Blonde

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Type 3 and 4 regarding pcie/sata cables are the same pinout, difference being type 4 cables have inline capacitor for ripple suppression. 24pin pinout is apparently different between types so wouldn't use type 3 24pin on type 4 24pin psu or vice versa. But i believe Txm is semi modular and 24pin is fixed?

Type 5 is physically different plug and won't fit type 3/4.

Anyway, chart here for type 3 & 4 compatibility.
https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025611351-PSU-Cable-Compatibility

Your Txm psu is more than good enough for the intended system.

Reactions: James Blonde

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Thanks all! :D Yep, you're right - 24 pin on the 750w is fixed - good point, well made! So need to do some swapping out whatever I do - might as well just go the whole hog.

I've made the decision that I'm taking the GPU (3070Ti) over to the new system as well and will put my old 1070 in instead - less hungry - but will also need the cables in the new system. Shame, was hoping to not have to disassemble my current system to put the new system together!