Swap CD drives between computers?

Ed

I have a Compaq Presario 533MHz AMD machine that tanked. Someone gave me
Compaq DeskPro 166MHz Pentium that works, but has a bad CD ROM drive. Both
machines work with Win98SE. The Presario has two CD drives - one is RW and
the other is CD/DVD. Since I was given both machines, I do not have a Win98
CD, but I do have a Compaq Restore CD for the Presario.

What are my chances the CD RW and CD/DVD drives would work in the older
DeskPro? Since they worked under Win98SE on the Presario, I know 98 can
handle them - but can the 166MHz Pentium? If Plug and Pray doesn't
automatically load drivers for them, where would I search for the CAB file
that might have it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ed

Ed wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario 533MHz AMD machine that tanked. Someone gave me
> Compaq DeskPro 166MHz Pentium that works, but has a bad CD ROM drive.
> Both machines work with Win98SE. The Presario has two CD drives - one
> is RW and the other is CD/DVD. Since I was given both machines, I do
> not have a Win98 CD, but I do have a Compaq Restore CD for the Presario.
>
> What are my chances the CD RW and CD/DVD drives would work in the older
> DeskPro? Since they worked under Win98SE on the Presario, I know 98 can
> handle them - but can the 166MHz Pentium? If Plug and Pray doesn't
> automatically load drivers for them, where would I search for the CAB
> file that might have it?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Ed

I'd say the cdrom will be picked up just fine, but the cdrw will be picked
up for its cdrom properties only since W98 does not have internal drivers
that supports cdrw operation, and so in order for that to be able to work
as a cdrw then you will need to install software that will driver it, such
as Nero or Easy CD Creator or whatever you favorite brand would be.

Rick

Hard to say if you're talking hardware specifics on a Compaq.
Commonly, an ide cdrom can be moved on almost any PC without special
drivers. The cdrw should be noted as this by simply moving it. You need
3rd party application for burning.
A DVD/CD Rom, same thing should turn out a cdrom. You will need 3rd party
software for viewing a data DVD, and another for playing DVD movies. On
older, slower PCs it was normal to have a decoder card for such a device as
the processor couldn't keep up with the decoding. The movies ended up being
very choppy without such a decoder card..
"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a Compaq Presario 533MHz AMD machine that tanked. Someone gave me
> Compaq DeskPro 166MHz Pentium that works, but has a bad CD ROM drive.
Both
> machines work with Win98SE. The Presario has two CD drives - one is RW
and
> the other is CD/DVD. Since I was given both machines, I do not have a
Win98
> CD, but I do have a Compaq Restore CD for the Presario.
>
> What are my chances the CD RW and CD/DVD drives would work in the older
> DeskPro? Since they worked under Win98SE on the Presario, I know 98 can
> handle them - but can the 166MHz Pentium? If Plug and Pray doesn't
> automatically load drivers for them, where would I search for the CAB file
> that might have it?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Ed

In addition to the other replies, if you plan to use the CD-RW to burn CDs on the
old machine, you must set the burn speed fairly low in order for that old 166MHz
processor to keep up. With most CD mastering programs (EZ CD, Nero) you will have
to choose the burn speed from a drop-down list before initiating each burn job. A
Pentium 166 probably won't handle anything faster than a 12x burn, if that.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ed" <ed_millis@NO_SPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a Compaq Presario 533MHz AMD machine that tanked. Someone gave me
> Compaq DeskPro 166MHz Pentium that works, but has a bad CD ROM drive. Both
> machines work with Win98SE. The Presario has two CD drives - one is RW and
> the other is CD/DVD. Since I was given both machines, I do not have a Win98
> CD, but I do have a Compaq Restore CD for the Presario.
>
> What are my chances the CD RW and CD/DVD drives would work in the older
> DeskPro? Since they worked under Win98SE on the Presario, I know 98 can
> handle them - but can the 166MHz Pentium? If Plug and Pray doesn't
> automatically load drivers for them, where would I search for the CAB file
> that might have it?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Ed

TRENDING THREADS