[SOLVED] Swap fried AMD GC for new Nvidia GC.

Feb 12, 2020
My friend has fried his old GPU, an AMD Radeon 5770, so has bought an Nvidia GTX 1660 super based on reviews and affordability.

The issue is the AMD drivers, the pc is in - No signal detected-, so the AMD drivers cannot be uninstalled.
I have read everywhere do not install cross-brand graphics cards without first uninstalling existing drivers. There is plenty of information on replacing cards and swapping while the pc is accessible but nothing on this scenario.

The build is roughly MB -Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H. RAM 128GB. CPU-i5. (Fried) GPU Radeon 5770.

Any help appreciated.

Solution
The system will certainly get confused, but if you download DDU from a separate PC onto, say, a USB stick, then go to the PC that had the fried AMD card, and boot into safe mode, you can run DDU to remove the AMD drivers.
On another computer:
  • Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
  • Download the latest Nvidia drivers for the new video card
  • save both to a USB stick
Go back to the PC that had the fried graphics card:

From a cold boot (rather than from holding down SHIFT and clicking Restart in the Start Menu):
Power on, wait for blue Windows logo, hold power button in until shutdown occurs. Repeat, Repeat. The third boot will show "Preparing Automatic Repair" then "Diagnosing Your PC" and then you will get a...
Feb 12, 2020
The filters on the case were full of dust restricting fresh air supply. It started whilst they were gaming with a red screen, it progressively got worse over couple of weeks until it could not handle gaming but was ok for browsing and general stuff . They don't open the panel on their pc I normally sort that for them but Ive not been too busy. Now its

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The system will certainly get confused, but if you download DDU from a separate PC onto, say, a USB stick, then go to the PC that had the fried AMD card, and boot into safe mode, you can run DDU to remove the AMD drivers.
On another computer:

From a cold boot (rather than from holding down SHIFT and clicking Restart in the Start Menu):
Power on, wait for blue Windows logo, hold power button in until shutdown occurs. Repeat, Repeat. The third boot will show "Preparing Automatic Repair" then "Diagnosing Your PC" and then you will get a screen with an "Advanced Options". Click on "Advanced Options" then "Troubleshooting" then "Startup Options". The PC will restart and then you will get a menu of boot options. #4 or #5 will get you into Safe Mode.

Plug in the USB stick and run DDU to completely remove AMD drivers.
Reboot
Install the Nvidia drivers.

That should do it.

EDIT: wait, are you saying that with the 1660 Super in there, you get no display at all? Not even able to get to the BIOS or the boot screen?

Last edited:
Reactions: lynx1021
Solution
Feb 12, 2020
On another computer:

Plug in the USB stick and run DDU to completely remove AMD drivers.
Reboot
Install the Nvidia drivers.

That should do it.

EDIT: wait, are you saying that with the 1660 Super in there, you get no display at all? Not even able to get to the BIOS or the boot screen?

The 1660 is new and not installed, just incase it causes issues. I dont think the pc boots long enough to get to safe mode. It starts the fans spin up then it shuts down with the - No signal detected message.

Feb 12, 2020
The 1660 is new and not installed, just incase it causes issues. I dont think the pc boots long enough to get to safe mode. It starts the fans spin up then it shuts down with the - No signal detected message.
Thanks everyone for help (y)

This is my understanding, correct me if i'm wrong, but for clarification list of procedures is;
a) Remove old AMD Card- Install new Nvidia card. ( So I get output to monitor)
b) Boot into safe mode in advanced options (or by the interupted boot method).
c)When in safe mode insert stick pre installed with DDU install run and remove old AMD drivers.
d) Restart normal install Nvidia drivers.

Reactions: King_V