[SOLVED] Swap from SATA to M.2 mode on the fly

Jul 5, 2020
I have an ASUS Z170-A Motherboard equipped with a Samsung M.2 SM951-NVMe SSD. Windows 10 lives on it. My programs live on another -slower- SSD.

In the BIOS I noticed the mode for this disk is set to SATA, but Samsung Magician reports around 1900 MB/s Read and 657 MB/s write, which is around the spec of the disk.

Also in the BIOS there is an option to set the mode for the M.2 disk from SATA to PCIe.

Is there any benefit in terms of speed?

If I toggle the mode, do I need to do a completely fresh install when I do?

Jul 5, 2020
Won't make a difference, where it says sata it means sata express which is sata/Pcie combined.

There's no benefit to changing it.
Since the benchmark is close to the manufacturer's spec, I am also not expecting a benefit. But that then raises the next question: why would ASUS give the option of both settings, if there is no actual difference?

Since the benchmark is close to the manufacturer's spec, I am also not expecting a benefit. But that then raises the next question: why would ASUS give the option of both settings, if there is no actual difference?

I honestly have no idea, you'd think switching would be automatic depending on whether you're using an nvme or sata based m2 drive.

Sata express has a max 12.8gbs throughput
Pci express 16gbs

Theyre both using the same controller chip/interface on your board.

Theoretically switching to pci express would increase theoretical throughput but there is no nvme drive available that comes close to saturating either.

Your nvme drive will currently show as a sata drive in boot order, changing to pci express you'll have to change boot options. I would leave it alone, no point fixing something that isn't broken.

TRENDING THREADS