Question Swap HDD from Toshiba C55-A5311 to C55-A5204

Feb 14, 2019
Hello everyone, so where do I start? My Toshiba C55-a5311 is falling apart. Components wise everything is perfect, but the plastic frame that holds everything together is failing to the point where the screen can't even stay up properly (the hinges are destroyed).

I purchased a very similar USED laptop to mine (awaiting delivery) and want to move my processor and my HDD to its new 'house". I did my research on my laptop and the other one, and I can't really find any big differences.

Now, they both come with the same processor, RAM, screen, style..., but one difference in motherboards: Part number V000325060 (mine) vs V000325050 ("new").

Both MOBOs look identical and use the same CPU, my problem is in moving the HDD.
I'm aware that Windows might issue red flags and not letting me boot, but I've heard that if systems are very similar it might pass.

Does anyone know if there's a chance of working, and if so how big/small in your opinion?
I have important stuff on my HDD, how can I transfer that without having the risk of all of it being deleted? Please, I need help, especially if someone has experience with this.
How can I make sure the Windows works, and if it doesn't work, how to make sure my data won't be deleted?
Besides that, can my licence of Microsoft Word and Excel be transferred? Please help me and thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019
Move the CPU and the HDD?

1. Is the CPU actually changeable? As in...in an actual socket?
If not, you CANNOT change it.

2. The HDD with the OS? Maybe, probably not.
The OS license will fail.
It may boot up, but maybe not.

1) Yes the CPUs' can be changed. I actually took my CPU out yesterday, and both motherboards have the same exact socket (FCPGA988), and are made for the same CPU (i3 3120m).

2) Yes, HDD with the OS and Microsoft Word/Excel licence on it

3) Based on the meme, how should I make a backup? I have like 160 GB of used space. I don't have anything that has that capacity :(

USAFRet

Titan
If the CPU is identical, why are you moving it?

What OS is this?
The OEM license in the laptop WILL fail upon seeing the new motherboard. Yes, even if it is the exact same model. Serial numbers are different.

For the MS Office - where did it come from? You can obtain the license key for that with Belarc Advisor. Install and run that in the old laptop.
https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor
Assuming you can get a valid install from Microsoft or the manufacturer, install in the new system and apply that license you discovered.

For backups? This needs to be a thing you do even if the original laptop were not breaking.
There are far too many ways to lose your data. Drives are cheap, even external USB connected ones. How much is your data worth to you?

One of my drives died recently, a 960GB SSD. If not for the nightly backup, 605GB data, gone...:)

Click click...all data recovered to a new drive, exactly as it was at 4AM that morning.

Reactions: dSt.RoyalL
Feb 14, 2019
If the CPU is identical, why are you moving it?

What OS is this?
The OEM license in the laptop WILL fail upon seeing the new motherboard. Yes, even if it is the exact same model. Serial numbers are different.

For the MS Office - where did it come from? You can obtain the license key for that with Belarc Advisor. Install and run that in the old laptop.
https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor
Assuming you can get a valid install from Microsoft or the manufacturer, install in the new system and apply that license you discovered.

For backups? This needs to be a thing you do even if the original laptop were not breaking.
There are far too many ways to lose your data. Drives are cheap, even external USB connected ones. How much is your data worth to you?

One of my drives died recently, a 960GB SSD. If not for the nightly backup, 605GB data, gone...:)

Click click...all data recovered to a new drive, exactly as it was at 4AM that morning.

1. Because I trust my CPU more :D (I took good care of it)
  2. Windows 10 Home. Oh no :(. Anything I can do about it?
  3. I purchased my Word/Excel licence 5 years ago
  4. It's worth a lot, but now I'm quite broke and can't afford a backup drive :(

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Take your current CPU out and keep it as a spare. There is no reason to take out a brand new one and swap it with your old one.
  2. The new laptop comes with its own OS? Leave it with that OS, and...
  3. ...Install your Office that you purchased. The activation should be OK, once you enter your existing license.
  4. I understand being broke. I also understand that things happen...drives die. Laptops die.

Feb 14, 2019
  1. Take your current CPU out and keep it as a spare. There is no reason to take out a brand new one and swap it with your old one.
  2. The new laptop comes with its own OS? Leave it with that OS, and...
  3. ...Install your Office that you purchased. The activation should be OK, once you enter your existing license.
  4. I understand being broke. I also understand that things happen...drives die. Laptops die.

1) The "new" laptop I'm getting is used too; they're both used. Why in the world would I fix my laptop with a brand new one, if anything I'd sell mine rather than fix it. They both have used processors but I'll swap mine in because I trust it more.

2) The "new" laptop is a used one from ebay for $80, and it should have everything, except for an installed OS.

3) The licence that I've purchased was meant for 1 computer for "lifetime", so no clue how could I get my office onto the other laptop without just swapping the HDD

4) Yup, I'm currently in college packed with classes and schoolwork, and now my laptop falling apart is stressing me out!

USAFRet

Titan
ahhh...OK. All that was not clear initially. I thought it was a "new" laptop.

Your options are pretty limited.
Swap the drive and cross your fingers.

I'd still find a way to backup any of your personal data on that drive before you swap this around.
USB stick, a borrowed external drive, DropBox or OneDrive. Somewhere...anywhere.
Just in case things go south.

Feb 14, 2019
ahhh...OK. All that was not clear initially. I thought it was a "new" laptop.

Your options are pretty limited.
Swap the drive and cross your fingers.

I'd still find a way to backup any of your personal data on that drive before you swap this around.
USB stick, a borrowed external drive, DropBox or OneDrive. Somewhere...anywhere.
Just in case things go south.

Ohhh, sorry for not clarifying!!

Will do once the used purchased laptop gets delivered.

Now, I have a 32 GB of space on a stick, how in the world will I back up 160 gb? Technically I could borrow my roommate's hard drive (he has one that's not really in use), but how would I connect it to my laptop? Would I have to purchase another adapter cable from SATA (correct me if I'm wrong) to USB, or something like that?

What's my best solution for a backup? What would you advice?

Feb 14, 2019
The primary thing you need to backup is any and all of your personal documents. You have a lot of college work on there? That is the stuff that really counts.

A USB-SATA dock like this is quite handy:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Docking-Station-Support/dp/B0099TX7O4

Hey stranger!!
Basically I got the used purchased laptop, swapped the CPU from my used laptop into the used purchased one, applied some great thermal paste, put the heatsink back in, put my RAM additionally to the one inside the purchased laptop (both Kingston DDR3 1600 Mhz), so I'm running 2x4 (8GB), instead of original 4, swapped the HDD.... and drum rolls
IT WORKED!!! It took a little bit of loading, but went straight to Windows, after which all my data and settings, and everything was just like the previous laptop, except it's in a new housing :). I have like almost a brand new laptop (with the exception of some old components), with additional RAM, and all USBs are working :D
Total price: my laptop ($390 new 6 years ago) +$80 (purchased used laptop)
Anyways I want to say thank you for your time and advises! I wish you the best of luck!!

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019
Re-using your old CPU may had saved u from Windows complaining about licensing. Good thing it's swap-able.

Could be, not sure, but as far as I'm concerned everything works just like it should. Maybe even the RAM had an effect, since I took my 4GB stick out, and put it in the main slot of the purchased laptop, and the other stick into the second slot. Regardless, I'm really happy with how everything turned out :).