[SOLVED] swap mobos w/o losing items on drive

Aug 25, 2020
I want to upgrade to x570 from b450. i currently am running 1 nvme drive with windows and all my other files. when swapping to the new board is there a way to save everything? last swap i did i needed to wipe the drive to reinstall windows.

alternatively, i'm not against grabbing a second nvme drive for added space, but if i were to do this, would it be okay to simply do a fresh install on the new board and drive then insert my existing one which already has windows installed?

tldr; whats the best way to upgrade a motherboard and not lose anything from my drives?

thanks!!!

Solution
If you swap mobo's you should always do a new (clean) install of your OS

ALSO: your win 10 license key is based on mobo, if you swap these out, you will need a new key, if you have the old one it can be reused ONCE, but there are hoops to jump

see an issue i had some time ago for reference:

So just backup what you need and have a key ready

out of the top of my head:

570x (which one are you upgrading to) gives you PCI4
and probably better OC capabilities

it could (depends on which 570) give you better audio quality, faster interwebz, etc
D

Deleted member 14196

I can’t answer that because that’s up to you to decide if the features the new motherboard comes with are really what you want

Reactions: wkeydubs
If you swap mobo's you should always do a new (clean) install of your OS

ALSO: your win 10 license key is based on mobo, if you swap these out, you will need a new key, if you have the old one it can be reused ONCE, but there are hoops to jump

see an issue i had some time ago for reference:

So just backup what you need and have a key ready

out of the top of my head:

570x (which one are you upgrading to) gives you PCI4
and probably better OC capabilities

it could (depends on which 570) give you better audio quality, faster interwebz, etc

Reactions: wkeydubs
Solution