[SOLVED] Swap SSD drive on SATAII port with an older SSD drive on SATAIII port issue.

Apr 19, 2020
Hello everybody.

I have a pretty pc with old board model (Intel Desktop Board DZ68DB). This board originally had only 2 drives connected to it; SSD and HDD, both connected to the SATAIII (6GB) ports ("blue" ports) on my board. The SSD had the Win7 OS installed, and the HDD had some data.

I have added 2 more SSD drives to my board, and connected them to the available SATA ports. I have installed Win10 OS on one of them, and I currently have a dual boot pc and everything works fine.

Little did I know, the new SSD drives were connected to the SATAII (3GB) inputs, while the old ones (which are not even utilizing the SATAIII performance..) are connected to the only 2 SATAIII ones.

Now, I want to swap between the old and the new drives so I can actually take advantages of the SATAIII performance. But! When I tried to do so, I couldn't boot up with any of them.

My question is, Is there a special case where the drive contain the OS, therefore the board will not "accept" the port swap? AFAIK, the SATA inputs are for data only :| .
Also, what can I do to achieve my target without having to format anything :\ ?

Thanks alot,
Shay.

Solution
Wait, so I don't quite understand :(
When I swap the win10 drive from port SATA2 to port SATA3, I have to keep the win7 drive connected? Is that what you mean?
And about the BIOS boot, it is currently prioritized the Win10 drive over the Win7 drive - shouldn't it stay alike?

Thanks,
Shay.
The boot partition lives on the Win 7 drive. Even though "Windows 10" lives on its own drive.
Without that Win 7 drive, no boot for you.
Apr 19, 2020
Swapping between those ports should not have an impact beyond performance.
Not booting is something else.

Please show us a screencap of your Disk management window.

Here it is:
View: https://imgur.com/sUv8Yxz

Details:
(C ) = new SSD drive with the Win10 installed
(F) = new SSD drive with some data

(D ) = old SSD drive with the Win7 installed
(E + H) = old HDD drive with some data among 2 virtual partitions

Did I miss anything? Do you need additional information?

Thanks,
Shay.

Apr 19, 2020
When you installed Win 10, the Win 7 drive was still connected? And you have a blue menu screen for the dualboot?
When you swapped the drives among the ports, did you reconnect all the drives? esp the Win 7?

Yes. The win7 was connected during the win10 installation.
I do have the blue menu screen for the dual boot.
When I swapped the ports, I just randomly disconnected the first blue (6GB) one I saw and swapped it with the win10 one.

Apr 19, 2020
When I swap the win10 drive from port SATA2 to port SATA3, I have to keep the win7 drive connected? Is that what you mean?
And about the BIOS boot, it is currently prioritized the Win10 drive over the Win7 drive - shouldn't it stay alike?

Thanks,
Shay.

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks,
Shay.
The boot partition lives on the Win 7 drive. Even though "Windows 10" lives on its own drive.
Without that Win 7 drive, no boot for you.

Solution