swapped AMD for p5nSLI/PntD 805 SLOWapps and choppy graphics

nirrad

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I had a dfi lanparty and AMD64 3200(2.2Ghz)used a fx5500 AGP card.
wanted to upgrade, went to p5nSLi and a dual core 805 OC'd to 3.275Ghz

here's my upgrade process, i uninstalled all nvidia chipset and related drivers(if it was leaving my computer i unstalled it before shut down.

connected just the HD and CD to the new p5nSLI (and the XFX 7600GS pciE 16x video card.

installed the most current drivers for the board. and the xfx card

the computer acts the same stock + overclocked(just the cpu, memory is not oc'd, thermal induced throttling is turned off.

cpu-z take 5-6 seconds before launching, and when i play call of duty2 online, it takes like 20 seconds of choppiness(looks like BAD LAG) to get going right,and it fine after that. i've played with the video card settings and nothing changes its start-up choppiness in COD2(although it loads the level faster).

is my problem the 805 cpu? just not fast enough(fsb is at 655, stock is 533)

shouldn't this be running circles around my 2 yr old socke 737(or whatever) athlon64 2.2 GHZ?

is there somethign software related from not doing a full format/refresh)

i have a thermaltake big typhoonVX (idles at around 45C, board at 37C)
with a load for a while goes to about 52C(running both cores 100% for over 1 hour)(it wont run 2 instances of prime95, just instantly shuts the new one down). been running crash free for 4 days, used a thermaltake 430w new powersupply too.

any help is super appreciated, thanks,darrin

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Sounds like you didn't do a clean install of Windows and it isn't recognizing the second core.

By the way, PLEASE tell me your old system was a socket 754 and not a 939, otherwise you made the very wrong upgrade.

nirrad

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
when i bring up task manager in xp, i see 2 cpu's activity, shows 2 cpu's in device manager, throttle watch shows 2 also.

yes it was a 754, i knew it was 7-something..had 37 or 39 on the brain.

cpu z shows 1 processor- 2 cores/2 threads.

yoru right i didn't do a CLEAN install, i did what i read on here other people did, i uninstalled all old drivers and tossed new board combo in and everyhting detected and appears ok.

except of coarse for the probs i mentioned

coretemp WONT RUN...says i dont have a intel processor, it worked on my amd athlon 64 though

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
when i bring up task manager in xp, i see 2 cpu's activity, shows 2 cpu's in device manager, throttle watch shows 2 also.

yes it was a 754, i knew it was 7-something..had 37 or 39 on the brain.

cpu z shows 1 processor- 2 cores/2 threads.

yoru right i didn't do a CLEAN install, i did what i read on here other people did, i uninstalled all old drivers and tossed new board combo in and everyhting detected and appears ok.

except of coarse for the probs i mentioned

coretemp WONT RUN...says i dont have a intel processor, it worked on my amd athlon 64 though

That's closer to 939 than it is to 754.

Look at the bottom of your old CPU. If there is a clearing in the "pin forest", its 754. Otherwise, it's 939.

nirrad

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
i digged out the box, its a 754

FIXED THE PROBLEM

found out my 2 sticks of ddr2 needed to be in the yellow slots, i had 1 black/1 yellow

both in the yellow fixed all problems.......pc runs great! i love the cheap 805! still running fine at 3.275Ghz!

so i'm gonna ebay my dfi lanparty/754 athlon65 3200 and the venus12 thermaltake heatsink :D

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Whoever recommended the Pentium D 805 to you doesn't quite know their stuff. In single threaded applications, that Pentium D will have to be at a much higher clockspeed to outperform your 3200+.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well,

The pentium D isn't bad, but, I am just curios why you wanted to upgrade to it? How much did you end up paying in the end for the upgrade?

Also, the Pentium D in games won't really be any better than the AMD cpu you were using. It is just a budget dual core, that gives you budget performance in many cases. It is pretty good with dual threaded stuff.... but, the X2 3800 would smoke it in all cases.(unless you OC the Pentium D to max and leave the X2 3800 at stock)

wes

nirrad

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
i wanted to upgrade for a few reasons, #1 being able to go SLI, this 7600gs kills my fx5500, and costed the same ($90)

i'll be able to add a 2nd card shortly.

and the 754 was old and had nowhere to go.

I can put in a nicer core duo 9months/1yr from now because the board supports it, so i do have a bit of a upgrade path left for the new setup.

my old board only supported ddr400, now i'm running ddr2 :D

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Gotcha....

my only point was really, for an upgrade standpoint, with the CPU only you didn't really gain much.

I do understand the GPU issue though. with AGP in the future you will be really limited, and no point in upgrading to a better AGP card you won't be able to use on future boards that will not support AGP cards.

The memory doesn't matter all that much. DDR400 is still plenty fast for AMD procs, and tends to be a better choice over anything but LOW latency DDR800, or that tech. that OCZ or whatever company was using in the high speed ddr2 memory. I can't remember what it's called, but it made a big difference. Anyways, I assume you are aware that something faster will be out in 9 months, but since you are behind the curve as far as not being an early adopter, I assume it's of no concern to you. Core2 will just cost that much less in 9-12 months.

wes