[SOLVED] Swapped from AMD to Intel driver issues .

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
So a friend wanted a cheap upgrade route .
He was on a sabertooth 990fx board with an fx8350
We decided to try and keep his 32gb ddr3 ,so decided to go for an i7 4790k as the best thing we could do with ddr3 and chose an MSI Z97 GD65 mobo.
So it was an easy swap of power leads and cooler.
Windows boots fine after a bit of win10 readjusting itself
The only issue seems to be a power driver fault .
The system won't shut down and also the usb ports are not working other than to provide power so clearly again a driver issue.
We tried the official MSI drivers and got a blue screen driver power fault .
So rolled back to the windows chosen ones and the system won't shut down .
Any help would be great.

Solution
Just an update all we needed to do was reset the bios as it was set to the previous rig , windows managed all the drivers and it works perfectly .
So no it's not rediculous .

This would indicate something other than "works perfectly":

"The only issue seems to be a power driver fault .
The system won't shut down and also the usb ports are not working other than to provide power so clearly again a driver issue.
Any help would be great. "
So a friend wanted a cheap upgrade route .
He was on a sabertooth 990fx board with an fx8350
We decided to try and keep his 32gb ddr3 ,so decided to go for an i7 4790k as the best thing we could do with ddr3 and chose an MSI Z97 GD65 mobo.
So it was an easy swap of power leads and cooler.
Windows boots fine after a bit of win10 readjusting itself
The only issue seems to be a power driver fault .
Any help would be great.

You really should do a clean install of windows when changing motherboard and CPU (especially when switching vendors). If you really need to save the current windows install then I suggest booting up into safe mode and removing every driver you can. Then reboot and install the official drivers from MSI again. You could also try 'driver booster' by iobit if you want a simplified way to check for driver updates.

The power fault could be an issue with the power supply- I remember some older PSU's didn't have support for some of the Haswell energy saving features and couldn't be used with the 4000 series parts, what is the PSU?

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
You really should do a clean install of windows when changing motherboard and CPU (especially when switching vendors). If you really need to save the current windows install then I suggest booting up into safe mode and removing every driver you can. Then reboot and install the official drivers from MSI again. You could also try 'driver booster' by iobit if you want a simplified way to check for driver updates.

The power fault could be an issue with the power supply- I remember some older PSU's didn't have support for some of the Haswell energy saving features and couldn't be used with the 4000 series parts, what is the PSU?
Corsair RM 850

D

Deleted member 14196

Do a clean install. you can’t expect it to work by swapping out those parts the idea is ridiculous. You have caused your own problems

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018

Do a clean install. you can’t expect it to work by swapping out those parts the idea is ridiculous. You have caused your own problems
Just an update all we needed to do was reset the bios as it was set to the previous rig , windows managed all the drivers and it works perfectly .

I don't really see why you have included me in that reply- I never said it was ridiculous. It can cause problems though- this is based on much personal, painful experience of trying to do a 'quick motherboard swap'. Sometimes you can get away with it, I'm glad you got it sorted out.

D

Deleted member 14196

lol, you will have other problems along your trip due to the fact that you did not install windows. you may not know it now, but I am sure you will be on here asking later when something crops up. whenever you change mobo, cpu and ram, do yourself a favor and reinstall windows.

if you did a feature update, then that's a new install and of course that would fix it.

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
I don't really see why you have included me in that reply- I never said it was ridiculous. It can cause problems though- this is based on much personal, painful experience of trying to do a 'quick motherboard swap'. Sometimes you can get away with it, I'm glad you got it sorted out.
Sorry that was a mistake I was replying on my phone tagged you in error

USAFRet

Titan

This would indicate something other than "works perfectly":

"The only issue seems to be a power driver fault .
Any help would be great. "

Solution