swapped hard drives in laptop

part-time geek

Reputable
May 12, 2014
I have an acer aspire 5732z had windows 7 home with fried hard drive, (never bothered to get replacement as i didnt have disks) anyway I also have an HP laptop with a fried mobo due to heat sink overheat with a good hard drive also windows 7 home operating system, what do i need in order to get windows 7 operating system to run correctly again? do i need a new windows 7 retail disk with a new COA??? Can I use my old COA ???

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
As long as you have a legal COA and product key, you can use any Win 7 installation disk to install Windows. When it comes time to activate with MS, just use your product key. But be sure you install the same version that the key is for. i.e. Home Premium, Professional, etc.

part-time geek

Reputable
May 12, 2014

so let me get this right when u say any windows 7 installation disk do you mean full retail or oem? or can i borrow my daughters disk??

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't matter. OEM copies and retail copies are the same. It is the product key that determines the license. If it didn't come with a physical disk, you can download a copy of Windows 7 here as a .ISO file that you can use to burn a DVD. It will produce a boot-able Win7 Installation DVD: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

You will have full use of Win7 for 30 days. Within that time you should enter your product key and it will be activated.

part-time geek

Reputable
May 12, 2014

One last question looked at the link awesome thank you a tonne of times but what dows the what does the x86 and x64 mean???

USAFRet

Titan

x86 = 32bit. x64 = 64bit.

part-time geek

Reputable
May 12, 2014

so I tried at start up to change to my dvd but nothing is happening just keeps going to windows start up so did i burn the iso file wrong???

USAFRet

Titan

How did you burn it?
Just copy the ISO to the DVD? No.
"Burn ISO image" ? Yes.