[SOLVED] Swapped my 2070 for a 3070, but now it's causing my whole system to glitch ?

Feb 9, 2021
So I just swapped my EVGA RTX 2070 xc ultra for a new RTX 3070 fe. The system boots up regularly with no issues, however, whenever any sort of load is put on the pc (even just sitting on chrome with 1 tab open) the whole system starts glitching out.

Firstly my 2nd display goes black, on my mains display the cursor keeps disappearing and reappearing and whenever I move the mouse it always returns to the centre. Sometimes if an application is in windowed mode then it starts resizing the screen. The taskbar keeps disappearing and reappearing. Also, the GPU fans are ramped up and they also fluctuate between high and very high RPMs whenever this happens.

Overall the systems seem like it's just glitching out. The only way which seems to reset this is by turning the PC off and on again. Even restarting the PC doesn't reset the problem. The longest ive been able to use my pc without it glitching is for only around 5-10 mins, then it starts glitching out again. I tried uninstalling all old Nvidia drivers and applications and then reinstall the new drivers but this didn't solve the issue. I also tried changing display ports the displays are plugged into, but this also didn't help.

Could anyone help? Thanks

PC Specs
*Intel i5-9600k oc to 4.8 GHz
*Nvidia rtx 3070 founders edition
*Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi
*Corsair vengeance rgb pro 16GB 3000mhz
*Deepcool Castle 240 RGB v2, 240mm AIO
*EVGA supernova 650w G+ Gold psu
*Corsair MP510 240GB m.2 NvMe
*Toshiba P300 3tb hdd
*Kolink Observatory RGB case

Monitors
*Msi optix mag27c (display port)
*samsung syncmaster e1920 (vga connected with a vga to hdmi connector)

Last edited:
Solution
Do these steps in order :

Remove the drivers using DDU from Guru3d.com...follow the directions exactly to remove all nVidia drivers.

Unplug from the internet so Windows can not find and install a driver.

Remove the 3070 and re-seat it in the PCI-E slot making sure the lock tab clicks into place on the PCI-E slot...also unplug and then reconnect the power supply leads.

Restart your PC and let Windows find the GPU and install a generic driver to see if the GPU is functioning normally for desktop use.

If the generic driver works then reconnect your internet, restart your PC again, and download then install the latest nVidia driver from their website.

If you're still having issues after these steps then it's likely the 3070 is defective.
So I just swapped my EVGA RTX 2070 xc ultra for a new RTX 3070 fe. The system boots up regularly with no issues, however, whenever any sort of load is put on the pc (even just sitting on chrome with 1 tab open) the whole system starts glitching out.

Firstly my 2nd display goes black, on my mains display the cursor keeps disappearing and reappearing and whenever I move the mouse it always returns to the centre. Sometimes if an application is in windowed mode then it starts resizing the screen. The taskbar keeps disappearing and reappearing. Also, the GPU fans are ramped up and they also fluctuate between high and very high RPMs whenever this happens.

Overall the systems seem like it's just glitching out. The only way which seems to reset this is by turning the PC off and on again. Even restarting the PC doesn't reset the problem. The longest ive been able to use my pc without it glitching is for only around 5-10 mins, then it starts glitching out again. I tried uninstalling all old Nvidia drivers and applications and then reinstall the new drivers but this didn't solve the issue. I also tried changing display ports the displays are plugged into, but this also didn't help.

is it a possibility for you to test the gpu in another system?

Mentioned EVGA PSU seems fine for 3070. Those UI glitches OP mentioned seems have a little to do with PSU. More like driver issues or some interference from other software in background. By the way did you tried different keyboard and mouse?

Please, write down your full system specs, including all the displays you have (and what type of cable/adapters do you use to plug them into the GPU), make and model of each piece. Without this info we could be missing out something important.

Do these steps in order :

Remove the drivers using DDU from Guru3d.com...follow the directions exactly to remove all nVidia drivers.

Unplug from the internet so Windows can not find and install a driver.

Remove the 3070 and re-seat it in the PCI-E slot making sure the lock tab clicks into place on the PCI-E slot...also unplug and then reconnect the power supply leads.

Restart your PC and let Windows find the GPU and install a generic driver to see if the GPU is functioning normally for desktop use.

If the generic driver works then reconnect your internet, restart your PC again, and download then install the latest nVidia driver from their website.

If you're still having issues after these steps then it's likely the 3070 is defective.

Solution