[SOLVED] Swapped Ryzen 3 2300X to Ryzen 5 3600 and computer wouldn't boot.

Aug 22, 2020
Hoping someone can lend some insight on what may have went wrong here.

I have a budget gaming desktop that came with an ASRock A320M-HDV motherboard and a Ryzen 3 2300X.

Not happy with the performance I have been getting, I decided to see which processors the motherboard was compatible with and upgrade. I landed on a Ryzen 5 3600, seems like a marginal upgrade and easy enough to swap.

I started by unplugging the case and taking it to my work bench, removed the old CPU, dropped in the new one. Put the cooler back on made sure everything was correctly setup, I didn't even need to unplug the CPU fan from the MB.

When I powered up the computer, I was getting black screen and I noticed the CPU cooler fans weren't spinning. I immediately powered down and did some reading, all things seemed to point to the BIOS needing upgrade. That said, I reinstalled the old 2300X CPU in hopes that I could boot back up and update BIOS.

Powered up with the old CPU and same thing...nothing booting up and CPU fans not spinning. The computer was working perfectly before all this.

I ordered a new motherboard...but is there a chance the new CPU may have been damaged?

Solution

I have a budget gaming desktop that came with an ASRock A320M-HDV motherboard and a Ryzen 3 2300X.

Not happy with the performance I have been getting, I decided to see which processors the motherboard was compatible with and upgrade. I landed on a Ryzen 5 3600, seems like a marginal upgrade and easy enough to swap.

I started by unplugging the case and taking it to my work bench, removed the old CPU, dropped in the new one. Put the cooler back on made sure everything was correctly setup, I didn't even need to unplug the CPU fan from the MB.

When I powered up the computer, I was getting black screen and I noticed the CPU cooler fans weren't spinning. I...
I don't believe it should damage either CPU. I'd check and double check all cables and connections and do a CMOS reset then try the 2300X again to update BIOS. After you update BIOS, reset CMOS AGAIN before trying to boot up with the 3600.

EDIT add: especially double check memory DIMM's; they often aren't as tightly installed as you thought in the socket.

EDIT 2: oh yeah. pay attention to BIOS update instructions on the support web site and follow them carefully. Asrock boards often need to follow a sequence when updating BIOS, it's better to follow it than tempt fate.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020
Thank you so much for the quick response and thoughts on this!

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the CMOS jumpers. Got a Asus ROG STRIX B550-E on the way, hoping that makes this build a little more easy to manage.

When I powered up the computer, I was getting black screen and I noticed the CPU cooler fans weren't spinning. I immediately powered down and did some reading, all things seemed to point to the BIOS needing upgrade. That said, I reinstalled the old 2300X CPU in hopes that I could boot back up and update BIOS.

Powered up with the old CPU and same thing...nothing booting up and CPU fans not spinning. The computer was working perfectly before all this.

I ordered a new motherboard...but is there a chance the new CPU may have been damaged?

You have to reset the BIOS any time you change cpus...you can remove the dime battery for 30 sec or short the BIOS reset pins with a screw driver tip to complete the reset. You have to reconfigure boot drive and system memory options.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution