Question Swapped SSD into different computer now getting reboot and select proper device

wangman

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hi guys

Picked up a cheap 2nd shuttle media centre computer the other day as an upgrade for my mum.

2500k, 8gb ram, 120gb intel SSD with a working copy of windows 10.

The machine runs great and is nice and fast despite being pretty old rocking the 2500k

Her old rig was 4 year old nasty small form factor dell that was running a dual core celeron with 4gb of ram.

I threw in an extra 4gb of ram and a 500gb Samsung SSD but it only shifted the bottelneck to the CPU and so still ran like crap.

Anyhow I thought it would be easy enough to just pull the new SSD out of her old rig and put it in the new old computer and windows would fire up fine.

Unfortunately I am getting the error

"reboot and select proper boot device"

I have checked the BIOS to make sure that the 500gb Samsung is selected as the 1st boot device.

If I boot off the 120GB Intel SSD that came with the new old machine it will fire up just fine and you can see the 500GB samsung SSD in windows and access it.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I would rather not have to do a clean install and transfer all her files and reinstall her programs again

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
You going to have other problems though, the hardware likely isn't the same so might get random weird errors, and WIndows 10 will deactivate itself since the hardware isn't the same PC it was activated on.

Dell have special OEM licenses, they only work in the PC they are linked to. You can't move them. So you may need to buy a Win 10 licence to get it to remain activated. Or fresh install and use licence linked to new PC.

Reactions: wangman

wangman

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
try changing the boot method in bios, its likely new one has it set as UEFI or Legacy, and old drive used the other one.

Yeah tried all of that still no good.

Also noticed other people having issues with the Win10 licence.

Just doing a copy of the SSD onto one of my HDDS as a backup before I start to dive deeper.

Will then see if I can just copy her user profile onto a new account named the same as hers on the new old machines SSD/windows and then just reinstall the programs.