[SOLVED] swapping 256 m.2 with 1tb

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
As the title says. My motherboard, Asus X370 Prime Pro, only has one m.2 slot. Would there be any way i can transfer all of my data on the previous m.2 or should i just copy that i need to transfer?

Solution
No need for an adapter.

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. You may need to manipulate the target partition size. Click "Cloned Partition Properties" and stretch the...
You could always store a backup image of the drive on another drive in the system if you have the available space.

It could also be worth getting an m.2 PCIe expansion card though, allowing you to keep both drives installed simultaneously. Some of those are available online for around $15 or so. Just make sure you get one that's compatible with the interface your m.2 drive uses (SATA or NVMe).

As the title says. My motherboard, Asus X370 Prime Pro, only has one m.2 slot. Would there be any way i can transfer all of my data on the previous m.2 or should i just copy that i need to transfer?
How much free space do you have on that HDD and how much of space is taken on M.2 now ?
Macrium Reflect free https://www.macrium.com/products/home can make a backup of your SSD which would be approximately 75% of data used on it which you can place on HDD. After making rescue USB from MR, you can change SSD, boot from uSB and transfer all contents on new SSD.

sitkces

Honorable
Nov 16, 2014
How much free space do you have on that HDD and how much of space is taken on M.2 now ?
Macrium Reflect free https://www.macrium.com/products/home can make a backup of your SSD which would be approximately 75% of data used on it which you can place on HDD. After making rescue USB from MR, you can change SSD, boot from uSB and transfer all contents on new SSD.

Sorry is this necrobmping lol i was busy at work. Anyway I have and HDD thats almost 1tb free space yet.
You could always store a backup image of the drive on another drive in the system if you have the available space.

It could also be worth getting an m.2 PCIe expansion card though, allowing you to keep both drives installed simultaneously. Some of those are available online for around $15 or so. Just make sure you get one that's compatible with the interface your m.2 drive uses (SATA or NVMe).

Hmm this is a nice workaround. Get to keep both drives this way

USAFRet

Titan
No need for an adapter.

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. You may need to manipulate the target partition size. Click "Cloned Partition Properties" and stretch the result to encompass the whole drive,
  9. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  10. That's all...this should work.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution