swapping a laptop motherboard

devi8trix

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I've just recently received an asus rog g751jl laptop, but I am not exactly impressed by the gtx 965 inside. I've been looking around and I found the motherboard for the g751jy which has a gtx 980. they look nearly identical to me, but I was hoping I could get a second opinion. could I swap out my motherboard for the one with the gtx 980?

Solution
I don't see why not, everything looks soldered on except for the usual memory and drives.

Interesting how many people selling them have the board upside down in their photos.

I suppose it really comes down to how much you can sell that whole laptop for and how much something with a GTX1060+ would cost you.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see why not, everything looks soldered on except for the usual memory and drives.

Interesting how many people selling them have the board upside down in their photos.

I suppose it really comes down to how much you can sell that whole laptop for and how much something with a GTX1060+ would cost you.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The 965m is 50W TDP, the 980m is 122W TDP. I don't know if your laptop would be able to cool the new GPU properly unless you also upgraded the cooler/heatpipes. It's also possible you'd need to get a new power brick (maybe even battery?) depending on what your laptop came with.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is true, but I don't know if they would have bothered with different heatsink models for the same chassis. I don't think the cost difference could be justified in creating a modified line to make different heatsinks, but it really depends on the volume I suppose.

The power brick almost certainly will need to go up a size.