Swapping a SATA 3 connection to a SATA 1 connection from DVD Tray to use as HDD (3.5 inch) storage

Jan 3, 2019
I have an Asus All in One PC and it has 2 SATA connections. One works at 6 Gb/s (so it must be SATA 3). It is presently connected to a 3.5 inch 2 tb HDD.

The other SATA is connected to the BlueRay DVD tray and is rated 1.5 Gb/s. I am thinking of swap the SATA cable from the DVD tray to the 3.5 inch internal HDD and use that for storage.

The other SATA (the 6 Gb/s) would then be connection to a new SSD with the operating system on it.

In theory, I think, the HDD should not be affected by the slower 1.5 Gh/s SATA connection. But since this SATA connection only powered a DVD, would there be enough power from that SATA connection to drive the 3.5 inch HDD?

I have given you a link to my DropDox account with a screenshot of information on my PC from a program called HWiNFO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dszcwk1tz2fdu4w/Capture.JPG?dl=0

Lutfij

Titan
Prior to your proposed upgrade, just make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your AIO. I think you've got the idea/concept right and I also presume you've got the knowledge to pull it off. Mind if I ask what the make and model of the SSD is?

Jan 3, 2019
Thank you Lutfij. I am still thinking about it, have you any suggestions? I added a Samsung Evo 1 tb to my laptop a few years ago and it improved the laptops performance, so probably one of them.