Swapping boards- can I keep the OS?

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017
I plan to go from a B250 chipset (Intel/LGA1151) to a B350 (AMD/AM4), which means a change in processors and RAM. As far as I understand it, Microsoft tracks your devices and keeps them on a list, as that includes their OS. So, with that in mind, (Also that the OS i purchased was Windows 10- Home Edition, 64-bit OEM) might it work that I can install a new partition on a new drive, without having to purchase a new copy of the OS? IE; keeping my current license, switching to a different board?

Solution
If you do end up having to buy a new license. If you are in the habit of switching computers so frequently. I would suggest spending the extra $30 for a retail license.

There's no harm in trying your current license. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you can still use the computer as long as you want. MS isn't so heavy handed on non-activated copies of Windows anymor. You get a little water mark saying it isn't activated and you can't change the desktop background through Settings. All other methods of changing the background still work. As far as I know. Those are the only limitations.
If you do end up having to buy a new license. If you are in the habit of switching computers so frequently. I would suggest spending the extra $30 for a retail license.

There's no harm in trying your current license. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you can still use the computer as long as you want. MS isn't so heavy handed on non-activated copies of Windows anymor. You get a little water mark saying it isn't activated and you can't change the desktop background through Settings. All other methods of changing the background still work. As far as I know. Those are the only limitations.

Solution