Question Swapping drives in Windows 10

Sir Flannel

Prominent
Feb 18, 2020
I have a fairly new system, with an M.2 drive as my boot drive (C). I have an additional unused M.2 slot. As of now, my D drive (where I have a good number of programs installed) is a standard spinning platter hard drive on SATA channel 0. I want to get an M.2 drive for my second drive. Now, in the old days, I'd copy the old drive to the new, swap the drive letters around, reboot and boom. Is it still as easy in Windows 10, or is there some other way it identifies it's drives based on hardware ID or some such thing?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Nope, much the same. You could clone the entire HDD to an M.2 and assign the appropriate drive letter.

Realistically though, for bulk storage, entry-level SATA3 based SSDs would be more than sufficient, and you'd never notice the difference. If you just want the clean aesthetic, no cables etc, then by all means, opt for M.2

Sir Flannel

Prominent
Feb 18, 2020
Thanks for the reply. It's not for bulk storage. It's extra room for programs. I've already got about 20TB worth of hard drives for bulk, and I'm wanting to transition them to SSD drives in the future. Just wanted to free up as many SATA ports as possible.