[SOLVED] Swapping i5 9600k with i9 9900k and getting BIOS error

johnofo

Honorable
Jul 10, 2014
Hello,

I just got an i9 9900k on ebay. It said Brand New Sealed. There was no cellophane on the crazy case and when I went to cut through the factory sealed stickers one of them kinda popped up on one side, no need to cut.

On fitting the CPU I got to the BIOS but could never get past it. Repeatedly got a boot failure error. The BIOS was seeing the CPU, showing 4.7Ghz as the clock speed. I reset the CMOS and reseated the RAM. No dice.

I popped my 9600k back in and it loaded up right away. All I had to do was reset the RAM speed.

Have I been sold a duff CPU? Is there anything else I can try?

i5 9600k/i9 9900k
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
2x 8GB Corsair Vengenance LPX
EVGA RTX 2080
ADATA 8200 M.2 SSD
Bunch off HDDs and a SATA SSD which I tried unplugging during boot up
XFX 850w PSU

johnofo

Honorable
Jul 10, 2014
I checked and on the most recent BIOS F10C

Fast boot disabled

I'm a bit suspicious as the CPU was sold as Brand New Sealed but the cardboard round the plastic pretty much fell off when I unboxed it as well as one of the stickers seeming to have been peeled off before. Checking an unboxing video it should have taken more effort to get into the packaging.

Ebay protects buyers.
If it was sold as brand new sealed, and it was not, then you should request a return to the seller.
Do all your communications via email so you have an audit trail.
It is most unusual for an intel processor to be defective but that may be the case here.
Can you post the original ebay link?
If the price was unusually low, you may have a counterfeit chip.

When I upgraded from an i5-9600k to an i9-9900k, after I put in the new CPU, while the system was unplugged from power, I first cleared the CMOS. Subsequently, when I plugged it back in and booted up, I booted into BIOS and did the "restore to factory defaults" thing, and finally, I did a "Save and Exit". My system then tried to boot and did several restarts on its own before booting into Windows successfully. I've had no issues since.