[SOLVED] Swapping i7 9700k for an i9 9900k

Nov 15, 2021
So my pc specs are

i7 9700k cooled by a corsair h100i platinum 240mm
rtx 2080
32gb ddr4 corsair ram
MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
RMX corsair 750watt psu

Basically my question is can I just swap my current i7 9700k for an i9 9900k and just boot windows and be fine or do I have to do something special. Also my other questions are right now my cpu is being powered by 1, 8 pin power connector but there is a secondary 4 pin connector. Does that 4 pin need to be plugged in for the i9 to work ok or will it be fine with just the 1, 8pin. The last question is my Bios Version/Date is American Megatrends Inc, 1.50, 3/22/2019 would that be fine or do I need to update it. I won't be overclocking the i9 or anything like that I just want to run it stock.

Solution
Yeah, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It reads like a heavy load isn't a part of the cpu's normal operation.
Reading further into that review, the VRM did thermal throttle in some benchmarks, with the cpu at stock*.
It could definitely do with a fan over the VRM to prevent thermal throttling, as the heatsink isn't doing enough.
So if you intend to put the cpu through some Cinebench or Blender related loads, consider DIY'ing a fan over the VRM, or opt for a 9700 instead - heck, maybe even an 8700, which is right up there with the 9700. Might be harder to acquire though.

[The *: Now, 'stock' can vary between motherboards, because Intel does not strongly enforce theirs.
So we get a mish-mash of boards out there that follow the...
So my pc specs are

i7 9700k cooled by a corsair h100i platinum 240mm
rtx 2080
32gb ddr4 corsair ram
MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC
RMX corsair 750watt psu

Basically my question is can I just swap my current i7 9700k for an i9 9900k and just boot windows and be fine or do I have to do something special. Also my other questions are right now my cpu is being powered by 1, 8 pin power connector but there is a secondary 4 pin connector. Does that 4 pin need to be plugged in for the i9 to work ok or will it be fine with just the 1, 8pin. The last question is my Bios Version/Date is American Megatrends Inc, 1.50, 3/22/2019 would that be fine or do I need to update it. I won't be overclocking the i9 or anything like that I just want to run it stock.
Just swap CPUs, only difference is in number of cores.

If you plan to OC the i9-9900K watch your PSU and VRMs. Other than that, if it's a REALLY good deal, go for it.

Even though it's your friend, make sure they give you some type of warranty. You want to be able to thoroughly test it to make sure it's not 'damaged'.

Nov 15, 2021
If you plan to OC the i9-9900K watch your PSU and VRMs. Other than that, if it's a REALLY good deal, go for it.

Even though it's your friend, make sure they give you some type of warranty. You want to be able to thoroughly test it to make sure it's not 'damaged'.
Yeah I understand. If I do not plan to overclock it do you think power consumption wise I would be alright. I don't really think I would overclock so I just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021
Okay, well now I'm just confused. So its saying that its voltage regulator is fine at stock speed. But then below it, its saying that for heavy loads its undercooled. So if I'm playing a game for example would that mean that it would be throttling because that's a heavy load ?

I'm just not really understanding because it seems like the motherboard can work with it but its not optimal/safe ? To be honest I'm really just questioning if this even a good idea, I figured it would just be a simple swap but if there is this much to take into consideration maybe its not worth it.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It reads like a heavy load isn't a part of the cpu's normal operation.
Reading further into that review, the VRM did thermal throttle in some benchmarks, with the cpu at stock*.
It could definitely do with a fan over the VRM to prevent thermal throttling, as the heatsink isn't doing enough.
So if you intend to put the cpu through some Cinebench or Blender related loads, consider DIY'ing a fan over the VRM, or opt for a 9700 instead - heck, maybe even an 8700, which is right up there with the 9700. Might be harder to acquire though.

[The *: Now, 'stock' can vary between motherboards, because Intel does not strongly enforce theirs.
So we get a mish-mash of boards out there that follow the Intel spec in the bios defaults, and ones that don't. If the user doesn't specifically look for it, they'll never know - at least, if they're not having performance problems with it.
In that review, the 4.7ghz all core boost is brought up a few times, so it's at least doing that one normally, except in the benchmarks where the VRM throttles.]

Can someone just tell me if I can use it at stock speeds, on my motherboard, with 1 8 pin power connector.
1)Yes.
2)Yes, with the help of a fan.
3)Not sure about that last one. Need someone else to chime in there.

Solution
Nov 15, 2021

So we get a mish-mash of boards out there that follow the Intel spec in the bios defaults, and ones that don't. If the user doesn't specifically look for it, they'll never know - at least, if they're not having performance problems with it.
In that review, the 4.7ghz all core boost is brought up a few times, so it's at least doing that one normally, except in the benchmarks where the VRM throttles.]

1)Yes.
2)Yes, with the help of a fan.
3)Not sure about that last one. Need someone else to chime in there.
I do already have a 9700k but my problem with it in some games is that the cpu is constantly at 100% load. I guess I could technically switch to a 8700k but that would be like getting a "worse" cpu because it only has 6 cores but I would gain hyperthreading.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My mistake, I confused your thread with another. They were looking at 9700 and 9900, and it was in a prebuilt, so mobo power delivery was definitely lacking.

You can use the 9900K in that board, but some extra airflow is suggested over the VRM for the heavier tasks.