Swapping m.2 with windows from one motherboard to another

oscian44

Honorable
Oct 24, 2017
I have an asus b150 gaming aura motherboard and am upgrading to an Asus Strix Z270H and want to reuse my m.2 with windows on it,

Do i have to wipe the m.2 to install new motherboard drivers and get new windows or can I just put it in the new board and install drivers.

Wont the drivers conflict?

P.S. this is my first post, and I'm pretty new to computers.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As mentioned above it may work or not. I've done that on XP and Win 7 systems.

I even added the system drive (HDD and SSD) to a whole new system (new CPU, MOBO and RAM) and it worked but there were some weird issues.

Speaking from experience you can give it a try but it's usually better practice to do a clean install of Windows.

oscian44

Honorable
Oct 24, 2017

Does a clean install mean i have to buy a new code? Also im using Windows 10

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

As far as I know installation records (hash of the hardware) for Windows 10 is recorded online and when user attempt to install the same Windows from same installation media it automatically activates once installation is finished and system connects to the internet.

Even if user changes components that can cause the online activation servers to think it's a different machine (e..g the motherboard) a phone call to their support will resolve the issue.

In your case the motherboard change might require that. All that is if you own an authentic retail license with activation code which I presume you have.

oscian44

Honorable
Oct 24, 2017