Question Swapping Motherboards

Feb 3, 2020
Im sure this has been asked a millions times but,

I want to install a new motherboard. I currently have windows 10 booting off of an ssd. I then have a hard drive for games and pictures and things like that. Along with win10 on the ssd I have all of the drivers and things for the mobo, gpu, etc.

Couple of ?'s....

1. Will my Win 10 license transfer and work with the new motherboard or would I need to buy a new license.
  2. How would I go about a new install of Win10. Do I wipe the SSD and then reinstall Win10 once I have the new Motherboard? Or do I even need to wipe the ssd.

Feb 6, 2020
Will my Win 10 license transfer and work with the new motherboard or would I need to buy a new license.
As far as I'm aware, as long as it's a digital license (as in it's linked to a Microsoft account and you're logged in to said account on your Windows installation after you replace the motherboard), the license will reactivate on the new board.

More information here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Im sure this has been asked a millions times but,

I want to install a new motherboard. I currently have windows 10 booting off of an ssd. I then have a hard drive for games and pictures and things like that. Along with win10 on the ssd I have all of the drivers and things for the mobo, gpu, etc.

Couple of ?'s....

1. Will my Win 10 license transfer and work with the new motherboard or would I need to buy a new license.
  2. How would I go about a new install of Win10. Do I wipe the SSD and then reinstall Win10 once I have the new Motherboard? Or do I even need to wipe the ssd.
License and Operation. 2 different things.

Depending on where the license came from, it can probably transfer to the new hardware.

Operation. Yes, you probably need to do a clean OS install with the new hardware.
You create a Win 10 USB to install with, build up the new system, connect the one drive to it, and install.

ASK THE COMMUNITY