[SOLVED] Swapping Motherboards

sshirey

Prominent
Feb 3, 2020
Im sure this has been asked a millions times but,

I want to install a new motherboard. I currently have windows 10 booting off of an ssd. I then have a hard drive for games and pictures and things like that. Along with win10 on the ssd I have all of the drivers and things for the mobo, gpu, etc.

Couple of ?'s....

1. Will my Win 10 license transfer and work with the new motherboard or would I need to buy a new license.
  2. How would I go about a new install of Win10. Do I wipe the SSD and then reinstall Win10 once I have the new Motherboard? Or do I even need to wipe the ssd.

Solution

I want to install a new motherboard. I currently have windows 10 booting off of an ssd. I then have a hard drive for games and pictures and things like that. Along with win10 on the ssd I have all of the drivers and things for the mobo, gpu, etc.

Couple of ?'s....

1. Will my Win 10 license transfer and work with the new motherboard or would I need to buy a new license.
  2. How would I go about a new install of Win10. Do I wipe the SSD and then reinstall Win10 once I have the new Motherboard? Or do I even need to wipe the ssd.
License and Operation. 2 different things.

Depending on where the license came from, it can probably transfer to the new hardware.

Operation...
Feb 6, 2020
Will my Win 10 license transfer and work with the new motherboard or would I need to buy a new license.
As far as I'm aware, as long as it's a digital license (as in it's linked to a Microsoft account and you're logged in to said account on your Windows installation after you replace the motherboard), the license will reactivate on the new board.

More information here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

USAFRet

Titan

Couple of ?'s....

License and Operation. 2 different things.

Depending on where the license came from, it can probably transfer to the new hardware.

Operation. Yes, you probably need to do a clean OS install with the new hardware.
You create a Win 10 USB to install with, build up the new system, connect the one drive to it, and install.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS