Question swapping out motherboard and CPU in HP Omen 870-224

Aug 19, 2019
Hello,

I bought an HP Omen 870-224 a little over a year ago. At the time it was a great deal. I'm looking to swap the Motherboard and CPU from Intel to AMD. I don't have the money to build a new machine, so please don't suggest I do that.

My question is; has anyone done this or does anyone know if I'll need to buy a new HDD as well. My only concern is the OEM hard drive might be locked to the current motherboard.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05389962 here is a link to the parts and "compatible" upgrades. If I have to buy a new HDD with the Motherboard and CPU, I'll just buy an i7-7700 for now.

Thank you.

The HDD won't be locked to the motherboard, but the Windows licence will be.

The other aspect to be wary about is if you're going to use the same case/cabinet is whether it has standard positions for the motherboard standoffs.

Aug 19, 2019
The HDD won't be locked to the motherboard, but the Windows licence will be.

The other aspect to be wary about is if you're going to use the same case/cabinet is whether it has standard positions for the motherboard standoffs.

Thank you, I checked the positions for the motherboard and I shouldn’t have an issue mounting a new uATX one in its place. The windows license isn’t a huge deal. I can always buy a new one. I appreciate your help.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS