[SOLVED] Swapping out smaller and slower drives, for faster and larger setup.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I'm in the process of changing and swapping out my older mechanical drives for more modern drives.

Currently running three Seagate Barracudas 2TB's all on the sata interface, my other drives are NVMe's but they are all great for now.
The three mechanical drives serve as backup for namely steam, origin, ubisoft connect, rockstar games and the last drive is nearly filling up with 1080p movies.

Looking for some input about my plan witch is: Buying a 6~8TB mechanical drive for replacing the movies drive, and buying two SSD's for replacing the two games backup drives for the increased copy speed.

Prices are not looking like they have come down much with these parts, but times come to upgrade and get more speed on something hardware related that's going to make some performance increase in my regular tasks.

Western Digital Pro 8TB 7200RPM SATA 3 6GB/s for the movies drive.

Two SanDisk Plus 2TB SATA 3 6GB/s for the games backup drives.

Please let me know what you all think and if you would do something other than what I'm planning, maybe there are better options I hadn't considered yet.

Solution
Is this correct:

You will remove one 2 TB Seagate Barracuda and replace it with 1 WD 8 TB, increasing capacity by 6 TB

and

You will remove 2 other 2 TB Seagate Barracudas and replace them with 2 Sandisk 2 TB SATAs, with no increase in capacity.
Is this correct:

You will remove one 2 TB Seagate Barracuda and replace it with 1 WD 8 TB, increasing capacity by 6 TB

and

You will remove 2 other 2 TB Seagate Barracudas and replace them with 2 Sandisk 2 TB SATAs, with no increase in capacity.

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Is this correct:

and

Almost got it, please note that the 2 SanDisks would be SSD drives.

My second pc will also gain from this coz all the old drives will move there, doing that right now.

Please tell what you think of this idea.

The SanDisk Plus SSD's are the best I can source at local markets, sure look quite decent.
Any other options in the same price range.

Do you have a model number of those SanDisks?

You may not notice a difference among various candidates.

Do you have a link to your source store or can you at least list some other candidates available to you?

You are not changing the total capacity of 4 TB. I assume you have thought about that and it is not an issue.

Will all candidates likely be purchased from the same store...so that they would not differ in return privileges or warranty?

What might cause you to choose something else? Price? A benchmark? Warranty? More capacity for nearly the same price?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Do you have a model number of those SanDisks?

You may not notice a difference among various candidates.

Do you have a link to your source store or can you at least list some other candidates available to you?

You are not changing the total capacity of 4 TB. I assume you have thought about that and it is not an issue.

Will all candidates likely be purchased from the same store...so that they would not differ in return privileges or warranty?

What might cause you to choose something else? Price? A benchmark? Warranty? More capacity for nearly the same price?

Looking for great performance and durability.

Yes I'm ok ok with staying on the same capacity due to the fact that capacities have not really come down in price yet and by the time that happens a CPU or GPU upgrade might be what I'm planning by then.

The model numbers are what I can see: SDSSDA-2T00-G26 SanDisk Plus 2TB SSD SATA 3 6 GB/s. ( this is the best priced one's)
Might look at Samsung as well but seems they don't have something 2TB or more in the same price range here in my country.

Like the 1st one on the plan, the movies drive: WD8001PURP

They look OK to me.

Other candidates in the same price range in the USA might be Crucial MX 500 or Samsung 870 QVO.

Durability is anybody's guess on any of them. Hope you don't have to deal with customer service or returns.

You might be able to save a few bucks by going with one 4 TB rather than two 2 TB, but I assume you have rejected that idea.

Good luck.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
They look OK to me.

Other candidates in the same price range in the USA might be Crucial MX 500 or Samsung 870 QVO.

Durability is anybody's guess on any of them. Hope you don't have to deal with customer service or returns.

You might be able to save a few bucks by going with one 4 TB rather than two 2 TB, but I assume you have rejected that idea.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input, yes 4TB SSD's are not an option here yet, price is way more than it should be.

If I go with the lowest priced retailer, I just have to pay for return courier if I get a botched part.

But with the WD drive retailer I get 30 days trail run, before I can get my money back or return for other part or return for same if it was botched part.

Going with two separate 2TB's because of data might be a bit safer this way and because can't source 4TB or more SSD's here.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I might even consider not spending so much on the larger new mechanical drive and opt for a smaller, cheaper one because that would get me with my current resources to my objective faster.

But knowing how these things go, looking back after this is done I would feel much better if I had done the best possible option.

I'm in the process of changing and swapping out my older mechanical drives for more modern drives.

Currently running three Seagate Barracudas 2TB's all on the sata interface, my other drives are NVMe's but they are all great for now.
The three mechanical drives serve as backup for namely steam, origin, ubisoft connect, rockstar games and the last drive is nearly filling up with 1080p movies.

Looking for some input about my plan witch is: Buying a 6~8TB mechanical drive for replacing the movies drive, and buying two SSD's for replacing the two games backup drives for the increased copy speed.

Prices are not looking like they have come down much with these parts, but times come to upgrade and get more speed on something hardware related that's going to make some performance increase in my regular tasks.

Western Digital Pro 8TB 7200RPM SATA 3 6GB/s for the movies drive.

Two SanDisk Plus 2TB SATA 3 6GB/s for the games backup drives.

Please let me know what you all think and if you would do something other than what I'm planning, maybe there are better options I hadn't considered yet.
Be aware of the impact on ssd write perf as they start to get full.

Only you know how much data you will store on these game ssd's.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Be aware of the impact on ssd write perf as they start to get full.

Only you know how much data you will store on these game ssd's.
Good insight, Hoping I can go ahead and fill them up right to the brim, and remain with advertised copy speed.

Mostly need to copy data from my NVMe's too data storage hardware (now mechanical) and known to me this would greatly improve the speed that I can copy at even if its a cheaper SSD.

At this moment I'm only 50% full on both drives, and keeping in mind that I would require that rest of the free space to copy and move data when the hardware is to be swapped, If I wait any longer for this upgrade it would certainly complicate the entire process.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
All right so I'm now buying and upgrading to an Seagate Sky Hawk AI 10TB SATA 3 6GB/s 7200RPM. ST10000VE0008 instead of an
Western Digital Pro 8TB SATA 3 6GB/s 7200RPM. WD8001PURP.

This will become my new movies drive.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
This is what my drive space looks like now, as you can see too much data on E:\drive, this is where I copied all my movies for the time being from my previous G:\ (ST2000DM006) that I removed and installed in my second pc, to make a port and drive letter G:\ available for my new drive (ST10000VE0008) witch I will receive soon, if all goes well I'll be copying my movie data there and my all my drive's utilization will be back into the normal range.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Seems to run as expected, here is a screenshot of my newly available drive space. (In the process of copying data to my new local disk now)

New drive's copy speed is quite impressive (well over the 200MB/s and constant), I used one of my game's data [HiTMAN Trillogy] to test the speed, copying from and too the new drive after I was done setting up the new partition and volume with window's disk manager, I also checked my power setting and set the drive to not turn off but rather remain on and manage it's power without windows power plan interfering with what the hardware is programmed to do by itself, after that a quick look in the device manager to see what driver it runs on and to populate volumes just as a test, whilst verifying the properties.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Right now I'm ready to upgrade the mechanical drives for SSD's.

And I'm looking for somebody to buy my two rather new but used (ST2000DM008) [2FR102]'s, once I have sold them then I can upgrade to SSD's and store my game backup data on that instead and get faster copy speed when needed.

Last edited: