[SOLVED] Swapping rzyzen back to athlon cpu makes hard drive disappear

Jan 9, 2021
The workstation I set up has

amd ryzen 5 3600
Asus A320m-k Mobo
Samsung 970 nvme m.2 500gb
some ram

it was working fine and I am trying to test another cpu, AMD Athlon 300ge

it would not boot from the nvme nor was it then appearing as a boot option.

I switched back to the old cpu and everything works exactly like it had before.
At that point I decided to clone the nvme ssd to an old hard drive. It worked (ie the information was on there), but would not boot into windows now could I perform a boot repair. Frustrated at this point I decided to do a fresh install of windows so I could boot and just get the thing set up on the new cpu.

Then I reinstalled the ssd back into the motherboard and it still won’t work with this Athlon cpu. Unlike before though I cannot see the drive at all in the bios it just says N/A. If I switch back to the Ryzen 5 it re-appears I can boot ect. How is this possible? I can’t see why the cpu change is changing what the Mobo can see in the bios? This athlon cpu should be compatible.

Solution
It’s odd that only changing the chip would cause the drive (that I’ve been using for a long time with same Mobo) to be dissappear
Not odd at all. Quite typical.

M.2 is only the format. How it plugs in.

With a Ryzen CPU, that m.2 port can use either an NVMe drive OR a SATA drive.
With an Athlon CPU, ONLY a SATA drive in that port.
Jan 9, 2021
I will verify bios and if applicable switch to that version. I think it’s odd though because why would it only seem to effect the hard drive aspect?

USAFRet

Titan
With that motherboard, and an Athlon CPU, you cannot use the 970 EVO in the M.2 port.

AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ 7th Generation A-Series/ Athlon™ X4 Processors :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode)

Only a SATA M.2 drive.

Reactions: SamirD and Nemesia
Jan 9, 2021
My previous bios was 5216 now I switched back to 5205 and it is still not recognizing the ssd.
I read the post above. Just so that I understand fully...

The athlon will only recognize an m2 ssd if it’s connected to SATA?

Jan 9, 2021
I’ve been using it just fine on that same Mobo but the only change is the CPU. Sorry if this is naive but do you mean the slot on the cpu? ....because now I’m confused. It’s odd that only changing the chip would cause the drive (that I’ve been using for a long time with same Mobo) to be dissappear

USAFRet

Titan
It’s odd that only changing the chip would cause the drive (that I’ve been using for a long time with same Mobo) to be dissappear
Not odd at all. Quite typical.

M.2 is only the format. How it plugs in.

With a Ryzen CPU, that m.2 port can use either an NVMe drive OR a SATA drive.
With an Athlon CPU, ONLY a SATA drive in that port.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
If I got an adapter would it work then? Something like this....
LWS M.2 SATA Enclosure,M.2 SSD to 2.5 inch SATA Adapter with Case, B & M Key SATA Based NGFF SSD Converter to 2.5 Inch SATA 3.0 Card Support 2230 2242 2260 2280 Hard Drive with 7mm Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WN4KV64/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_i_WC0-FbHWJZK5H
No.
That allows a M.2 SATA drive to connect to a standard SATA port on the motherboard.

It does NOT convert a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive to connect to a SATA port.

Jan 9, 2021
Ok thanks. I got the original hard drive back up and running on a different pc and am just going to transfer all my files back over and continue to boot from the hdd I installed the new version of windows on and sorta start over :/ then when I upgrade I can use my ssd again.