Question Sweet spot for Premiere Pro

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ygli

Honorable
Jan 9, 2018
As far as I can tell my GPU just died. (Computer died mid-operation. After that it was powering fans but nothing else. I reset BIOS didn’t help, removing GPU and powering up gave error beeps where there had previously been no sound other than fans, which apparently indicated that the GPU is dead and has been causing conflict while installed...?)
I need to buy something to replace it ASAP - ideally within the next few hours so I can get back to work.

I am planning to build a custom desktop in the ballpark of $2K in the near-ish future and would like to replace the GPU now with one that I will want to be putting into that system.

From why I understand, Premiere Pro doesn’t use the GPU that much (I use After Effects somewhat but not that much) so I don’t want to overkill and buy a heavy duty GPU meant for gaming and 3D rendering if it is totally unnecessary for Premiere Pro and will drain money from my budget unnecessarily.

For context, I’m thinking for this future build (prob in the next 3-6 months) along the lines of i7 9700 or i9 9900, 32 GB RAM, 500GB SSD for OS, 2TB m2 SSD for exporting videos to, and everything else that would go along with that.

I have done hours of research about all the parts for the upcoming system but can’t seem to get my head around the meaning of the specs for GPUs and their relevance to Premiere Pro.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a GPU that would not bottleneck a relatively high performance system (i9 9900, 32Gb RAM, M2 SSD) for Premiere Pro but would also not be wasteful overkill?

Thank you all so much, you guys on this forum are so helpful!! I’ve done almost all my research on here...

TRENDING THREADS