Question Sweet spot for Premiere Pro

ygli

Honorable
Jan 9, 2018
As far as I can tell my GPU just died. (Computer died mid-operation. After that it was powering fans but nothing else. I reset BIOS didn’t help, removing GPU and powering up gave error beeps where there had previously been no sound other than fans, which apparently indicated that the GPU is dead and has been causing conflict while installed...?)
I need to buy something to replace it ASAP - ideally within the next few hours so I can get back to work.

I am planning to build a custom desktop in the ballpark of $2K in the near-ish future and would like to replace the GPU now with one that I will want to be putting into that system.

From why I understand, Premiere Pro doesn’t use the GPU that much (I use After Effects somewhat but not that much) so I don’t want to overkill and buy a heavy duty GPU meant for gaming and 3D rendering if it is totally unnecessary for Premiere Pro and will drain money from my budget unnecessarily.

For context, I’m thinking for this future build (prob in the next 3-6 months) along the lines of i7 9700 or i9 9900, 32 GB RAM, 500GB SSD for OS, 2TB m2 SSD for exporting videos to, and everything else that would go along with that.

I have done hours of research about all the parts for the upcoming system but can’t seem to get my head around the meaning of the specs for GPUs and their relevance to Premiere Pro.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a GPU that would not bottleneck a relatively high performance system (i9 9900, 32Gb RAM, M2 SSD) for Premiere Pro but would also not be wasteful overkill?

Thank you all so much, you guys on this forum are so helpful!! I’ve done almost all my research on here...

ygli

Honorable
Jan 9, 2018
It might not be the gpu. It could be a bad motherboard, or a PSU that isn't quite performing as well as it should. What are the full system specs, of the machine, including make/model of the power supply?

I’m having a hard time finding the exact specs, the order is no longer available online to look up (2.5 years old from BJs) so I can only give exact info for what I can see.

It’s a Lenovo ideacentre 700.
Power Supply: FSP Group, FSP 400-40AGPAA
i7-6700 (SR 2BT 3.40 GHZ)
12 GB RAM
The GPU is Nvidia, not sure which model, and I don’t see any info on the GPU to identify it. It has one visible fan (not 2 like I’m used to seeing)

Is there anything else specifically that I should look for?

Is there an easy way to test whether it is the PSU?

Thank you SO much for your input!!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor | $579.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler | Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $84.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard | ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard | $294.98 @ Newegg
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $289.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $67.95 @ B&H
Video Card | MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card | $249.99 @ Amazon
Case | NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $69.89 @ OutletPC
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1782.77
| Mail-in rebates | -$75.00
| Total | $1707.77
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-12 09:53 EST-0500 |
You may want to remove some components from that list and use your old components such as storage drives. This comes in under budget. The cpu included has 2x the cores and threads of the 9900k and would be better for workstations. Is isnt as good as the 9900k for gaming but can still game.

Here is an article on selecting hardware for Premiere PRO.
You need to assess the relevance for how valid it is; I can not.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...-Premiere-Pro-CC-143/Hardware-Recommendations

I might suggest that your cpu candidates all have integrated graphics so you could get started and perhaps test with your old graphics card.
Then, you can better assess just how strong your new graphics card needs to be.
If your new build includes a psu in the 650-750w range you can handle the stronges of cards.

Sounds like it might be time to build that new system now. I read the link and it says that a lot of cores don't always scale well, and that higher single-core performance can help overall performance. I think the Intel i9-9900K is just fine and a good upgrade, but so are a lot of other CPUs including the Ryzen 7 2700X (for cost efficiency) or Ryzen ThreadRipper.

ygli

Honorable
Jan 9, 2018
If it is powering on and just f
Read Geofelts link, I suspect PSU as it's a 400W FSP unit, and lets face it you'll need a new one anyway. However it could have taken other parts down with it.
If it iS powering on (and just. Freezing in the generic opening Lenovo screen) does it make sense that the issue is the PSU?

ygli

Honorable
Jan 9, 2018
Thank G-d it is working again.
SUPER WEIRD!
I was whatsapping a more tech savvy friend while this was all going on, after sitting frozen on the Lenovoe screen for like 15 minutes, it suddenly went to the regular lock screen. When I put in the PW it opened Windows but file explorer would not open anything, it just froze. Crystaldiskinfo showed both HDDs working fine and WinDirStat also couldnt access anything and froze.
The guy on whatsapp suggested trying to remove ethernet cable to see what happened an voila! back to normal. plugged the ethernet cable back in, and still working fine Thank G-d.
He said he has no idea why it worked, but sometimes really weird things can help with no explicable reason.

Thanks again everyone for your help!!

I think its time to start working seriously toward that new build though...

ygli

Honorable
Jan 9, 2018
I think your current system may be suffering from a dying primary disk/storage drive.
I checked the integrity of all internal storage devices (1SSD for OS and HDD for working files) using the native diagnostics in windows (disk properties>tools> error checking and the both came up fine. Is it likely that there is a failure on the horizon despite Windows reporting the drive as being in good condition?

(I’m not worried about my working files, everything is synced to oCloud...)