[SOLVED] Sweex 7.1 external sound card only playing in stereo ?

Flamekorn

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
Hi I have a sweex 7.1 external hard drive sound card and it was working perfectly until today.

However, today I went to install it on my new computer and the sound comes out only in stereo.

All sound is playing on front speakers including Sub-woofer sound.

I have tried both the drivers that came with the sound card and the last updated drivers from web and have also setup the sound to 5.1 on the settings.

Would appreciate if you guys have any ideas.

Solution
Might I ask what OS you were working on while on your older machine? If it was Windows Xp, then the drivers for the sound card were compatible. From what I'm seeing the drivers haven't been changed since Vista. if you're on Windows 10 as of this writing, check to see what version of the OS you're on(not edition) and if you've got any BIOS versions pending update, while also making sure that the chipset drivers are in order. Following that, try and install your external sound card's driver using compatibility mode, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows Xp or Vista or 7(from drop down menu) and see if the audio is back to how you remember it.

Also, what is the make and model of your new computer's motherboard...

Lutfij

Titan
Might I ask what OS you were working on while on your older machine? If it was Windows Xp, then the drivers for the sound card were compatible. From what I'm seeing the drivers haven't been changed since Vista. if you're on Windows 10 as of this writing, check to see what version of the OS you're on(not edition) and if you've got any BIOS versions pending update, while also making sure that the chipset drivers are in order. Following that, try and install your external sound card's driver using compatibility mode, Right click installer>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows Xp or Vista or 7(from drop down menu) and see if the audio is back to how you remember it.

Also, what is the make and model of your new computer's motherboard? I think you're going to get a better experience off the onboard audio solution compared to a decade old external sound card if you're indeed in possession of a PC with concurrent parts.

Solution

Flamekorn

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I was using win 10 and still using 10 same version and edition
Motherboard also was unchanged. Only changed videocard, cpu and hd.
Everything is updated and in order.
Will try the compability thing, though strange as this audio card was working with same system I used to have not a few weeks ago.
Maybe its what you said about it being old, but i am finding it strange