Swiftech Launches a SATA Powered 8-way PWM Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Tom's incredible attention to detail strikes again. It actually uses a Molex connector, the product's description page makes no mention of SATA.

On the other hand this thing looks real useful, much better than running a half dozen splitters to get PWM fan control.

MercJ

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Irony abounds.
For those curious or interested, this is indeed a PWM splitter powered by a SATA connector. There are two types, the 4-pin Molex splitter (which shipped with the H220, at least mine did) and now this one. I'm glad to see more of these types of accessories use SATA connectors for power, the last few builds I've done didn't use any Molex except for the splitter, which meant an entire modular "string" of cables needed to be connected for one item. Good on Swiftech for updating this. You can see both versions here:
http://www.swiftech.com/replacementparts.aspx

Instead of actually criticizing THG you should first fully research the item then comment:

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

Per Swiftechs site it is a SATA power connector based 8 way PWN fan controller.

lahwf14

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
These stupid pricks now only have a sata version. The argument was that most devices now use sata. Oh, really? WELL, THEN. WHY WOULD YOU MOVE THIS "ACCESSORY" TO SATA? YOU WANT TO WASTE OUR PRECIOUS SATA CONNECTORS? [removed] sakes, I have 4 sata cables which are occupied by dvd burners and hard drives. I have ample molex connectors which is suppose to be for ACCESSORIES. Stupid [removed] move. Stupid [removed] people. I will not sacrifice a precious sata cable for some accessory. This is a [removed] fact no matter what computer you have. Sata is mainly for DRIVES. That's a FACT!!!!!!!!!!!! Moving this accessory over and wasting a precious cable which we use ALOT is stupid.

-Watch the language

First off, everything started as one thing then moved to it. Molex was originally a way to power HDDs now it powers a lot of things.

Second, Most modern PSUs have tons of SATA connections so unless you have 4 DVD drives and 6 HDDs (a normal cases amount) you should have plenty since you should have 2 per cable meaning you have 8 total SATA connections.

Unless you have a really old or cheap PSU. Even my 5 year old Corsair TX850W has 8 SATA ports.

Third, I am sure it comes with a molex to SATA adapter. If not go buy one. Its like $3 bucks at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.