Switch after router does not work

mikelewis48

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
I just moved my new Nighthawk x6 AC3000 router upstairs for better coverage.
Ran Cat-5e from router to main computer in den. 3 cables run. 1 for computer - works. 1 for security system - works. 1 to switch in media cabinet (for HTPC, Xbox, DVD, receiver, DirecTV, Sling Player) does not work. I checked the cable from the router to the switch and it tests OK. Tried unplugging and resetting Comcast modem, wireless router, and switch with no luck. Wireless works fine. Switch is a new Netgear 8-poirt gigabit GS608NA.

What am I missing? Could it be a faulty switch? I used the network test function of the Xbox One and got a message suggesting I reset my router, but this did not work. (I can't remember the specific error message, but I believe it was related to DHCP.) I am at work now, so I can't test it again and be more specific. I believe the Xbox One recognized that it had an Ethernet cable plugged in, but did not find a network. My network name did not appear anywhere on the screen.

I can go through each cable and device one at a time, but if it may be a faulty switch, buying a new switch and changing it out is much simpler. The switch and gear are in a media cabinet and moving cables around in there is a nightmare.

mikelewis48

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Checked the status lights. All lights are lit up green on the switch except for the line in from the wireless router. My wireless router status light is blank where the cable out goes to my switch. This seems to suggest that it may be a setting in the Nighthawk router that is not sending data to the switch?
I switched several cables from the wireless router to my desktop computer and security system. The cables are not the issue as any combination of cables works with the desktop and security system, but not the switch.

The Xbox One error message when I trouble shoot its connection gives the following information:
Wired connection recognized (plug in the hole I assume)
NAT type: Strict
Unable to communicate with DHCP server
Suggested action: Unplug router or modem and wait 30 seconds, plug it back in, wait 30 seconds and try again.

This does not work.

Next troubleshooting tip was to verify my router is setup for DHCP. I did this under the advanced setup section of my router and the box was checked for using the router as a DHCP server. Still doesn't work.

Next step was to ensure the my MAC address was not being filtered. I could not find any MAC address filtering settings in my router configuration. So I skipped to the next step...

Which was nothing. I used the Xbox as a trouble shooting device since its pretty basic which matches my skill level. I'm great with wires, drills, and saws so running wires and hardware are easy for me. It's the software and configuration part that I struggle with.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated...

mikelewis48

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
I found under "Security-->Access control" a list of devices on my network and all were allowed. (I assume this is the MAC filtering.) The box was also checked to allow all new devices to connect. Of course the Xbox was not listed since my network can't "find it" since it is hardwired.