[SOLVED] Switch between a desktop and a Lenovo laptop

manolain

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Hello experts

I just had to say goodbye to my old desktop friend. I totally fried it after pluging it into an European voltage without having changed the power supply switch (I just came back from USA)
What a tragedy!

anyway, the reason for this thread is this gives me now perfect excuse for a new setup. Let me explain what I want to do.

• I have two HP 22´´ monitors
  • I will buy a new desktop (as small as possible, I dont need too much power for it)
  • A Lenovo Thinkpad P51

My goal is to be able to share the same set of monitors, keyboard, mousse...you can imagine, with the two PC systems.
Only one of them will be on at a single time.

I obviously have lenovo dock station but dont wont do the job for the desktop.

I have read something about KMV switches (like this one) and universal dock stations (like these) but I have to admit being confused and not clear about what hardware I should purchase to meet my goals

Hopefully you guys can help me out here. I have searched the forum but I am probably now more confused (people saying this is not possible, there are no universal docks, not clear on the difference between the KMV switch and the universal docks...)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Solution
The KVM switch you're lilnked to will help you one monitor, one keyboard and mouse to be shared between a two HDMI/USB systems. For the second monitor - you have to see what second video interfaces are available on your desktop and laptop. If both are HDMI, second KVM switch with manual control will do. Otherwise, I'd just use that second monitor' source selector.

manolain

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Thanks for your answer

Unfortunately, I took my desktop to a professional, to replace the power supply. After connecting a new power supply, fans would start but the computer would not show any video output. He also tried with a different graphic card, with same result, no video output.

His conclusion was that mother board was affected too (unfortunately my motherboard is very old and there are no replacements for it)

manolain

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
His words were, you need to find a new motherboard, but this model is no longer available
you either find a second hand or buy a new one
A new mother board wont fit in this case either
and the RAM you have wont be compatible...

anyway, lets focus on the switch between the laptop and the desktop :)

The KVM switch you're lilnked to will help you one monitor, one keyboard and mouse to be shared between a two HDMI/USB systems. For the second monitor - you have to see what second video interfaces are available on your desktop and laptop. If both are HDMI, second KVM switch with manual control will do. Otherwise, I'd just use that second monitor' source selector.

Solution