Question Switch From 2700x To 9700k?

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
ok, here is my situation. I bought all of my parts over a 1 and 1/2 year period and haven't built still. I have never built before and din't realize that my RAM kit is optimized for intel (as are the vast, vast majority). I then bought a 2700x and an x470 mobo.

My RAM kit has samsung b die, BUT I see on the mobo QVL that the model with the closest model number to mine (same model number, except the color code at the end) will only run at 2933, despite being a 3200 speed kit.

So is it worth selling the cpu at a loss, selling the mobo at a loss, buying the expensive 9700k (and losing hyperthreading), having to buy a cooler. more expensive mobo, etc... to get my kit running at 3200?

Not overclocking the cpu either way, not going to often game on it, etc... I do trust Intel more, though.

I may have to sell the mobo regardless, because I am really wishing I had bought a more compact case, which would mean geting a diff mobo. Only thing is I can't find ANY case that is compact AND reviewed as being extra quiet and cool enough. I thought about the Nano S, then read that it is still not very quiet. The r5 anf r6 are mroe like what I am expecting, but are big cases.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
What sucks is I thought another option could be sell my RAM at a loss and buy different RAM, but according to that QVL next to nothing runs much faster, anyway... Especially any from G.Skill.

I've heard before that once you get up around 2667+, there's very little gain in faster memory, anyway, though...

Another thing is just that so many companies choose intel and I can't help but keep thinking that people high on AMD are overhyping it. I'm using an ancient AMD now, though, and have mostly been happy over the years.

G.Skill works great with Ryzen. I bet you have no issue getting RAM to run at advertised speeds.

2700x is over $100 bucks cheaper and comes with a very nice factory cooler. The 9700k does not come with a cooler. Will the 9700k perform better in games? Absolutely! Will it perform over a hundred bucks better? That's up to you.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
G.Skill works great with Ryzen. I bet you have no issue getting RAM to run at advertised speeds.

2700x is over $100 bucks cheaper and comes with a very nice factory cooler. The 9700k does not come with a cooler. Will the 9700k perform better in games? Absolutely! Will it perform over a hundred bucks better? That's up to you.
It's unlikely I even game on it to begin with. I did buy an Odyssey+ VR headset, though, and a 1070 TI, so I might as well game some, I guess, but AI wouldn't be demanding the top fps. I really went overboard on parts in case I use resource-intensive productivity software.

As far as G.Skill, though, it's still going to come down to mobo and RAM model. And I thought it would be smart to get a lower latency kit than 16, so got a 15, only to find out that BOTH 14 and 16 are more commonly tested, so I may very well have been better off getting 16 than 15.

Also, due to me buying parts over time, I've screwed myself over in some areas... mostly with the RAM kit. Even with a GREAT deal on it, I still spent around $250 for 32GB, which now you could get for barely over $200.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Another vote for not worth it. I have a 2700X myself and got the wrong RAM also. My Gskill SniperX 3200 RAM will boot up and run fine at it's rated 3200 but some games crash on me (mainly far cry 5) so I had to drop it back to 2933 for stability. There's a good chance yours will work at 3200 but if it doesn't you aren't losing enough to worry about.
I'm still happy with mine at 2933.

I am kinda hoping because the memory controller is on the CPU that a future upgrade to say a 3600X or 3700X might also allow me to go back to 3200 for the RAM. Time will tell.

May 1, 2019
just use it,, it will be fine. First gen ryzen was picky,, however second gen not so much.. when I build mine I bought the a cheapish 2666 cl15 kit of hyperx.. upping the ram voltage from 1.2 to 1.35v and the soc voltage to 1.1v I can run it at 3100mhz cl14 16 16 34 with no issues. Just dont exceed 1.2v on the soc

TRENDING THREADS