Switch from 64-bit Windows 7 Pro to 32-bit Windows Pro, no disk

snorky

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I bought a used laptop with Windows 7 Pro but it has 64-bit. The software that this computer needs to run operates a specialty camera ($30K) system. The camera software does not work on the 64-bit. And the camera manufacturer says the software is not compatible with Windows 8 either. So the question is if I have a Windows 7 Pro 32-bit disk bought for a different desktop, will the key for the laptop work on that disk? Or will the key for the Windows disk work if I clean install it on the laptop? I do not want to get fuzzy with license issues but neither Microsoft nor the camera manufacturer have another viable solution for me. I would only use this laptop for use with the camera. Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution

Not necessarily.
This is a used laptop. Whatever is on there (Win7 64bit) is not automatically transferable to a 32bit install.
The other install he has "Windows 7 Pro 32-bit bought for a different desktop" is completely unknown as to if it would work or not.
Has that already been installed? Dunno, but probably. If so....and if it is an OEM license...then it is licensed to that original desktop motherboard.

For a laptop that is going to apparently be a moneymaking device ("$30,000 camera system"), buy a new OS for it.

USAFRet

Titan

Not necessarily.
This is a used laptop. Whatever is on there (Win7 64bit) is not automatically transferable to a 32bit install.
The other install he has "Windows 7 Pro 32-bit bought for a different desktop" is completely unknown as to if it would work or not.
Has that already been installed? Dunno, but probably. If so....and if it is an OEM license...then it is licensed to that original desktop motherboard.

For a laptop that is going to apparently be a moneymaking device ("$30,000 camera system"), buy a new OS for it.

Solution

snorky

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

I will give Microsoft a call but I understand that I may need to track down a Windows 7 Pro 32-bit retail version somewhere. They seem hard to come by. Amazon says they are 'unavailable' and the Windows Upgrade App on the computer takes you all the way including putting in your credit card number and then it says it is unable to complete the task :(

snorky

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

Any suggestions on where I can get Windows 7 Pro 32-bit disc? The Microsoft License Key Upgrade utility for Windows does not seem to work any more.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

32 bit software should work in 64 bit Windows fine as it's backward compatible. 64 bit software WILL NOT work in a 32 bit OS.

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 7 32bit. $89.24
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00GOUBT6E

snorky

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

snorky

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

snorky

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
The software does load and come up just fine on the 64-bit, but it won't play nice with the camera apparatus, as the camera hardware wants XP or 7 Pro 32-bit only. Not 7 Pro 64-bit, and not Win 8 or 8.1

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
The only versions where keys will work on both 32 and 64 bit are on a retail copy of Windows 7. The OEM version that comes with a PC has Keys that are in sequence for that OEM (Dell, HP ETC.). The OEM versions you purchase from say Newegg 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 are sold separately thus each having it's own key.