Question Switch from AMD to Nvidea driver questions

thugxcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
I am switching my card from an amd 7950 to a GTX 1660 ti but cant seem to figure out how to make the switch from one company to another possible so that I can update drivers.

I got DDU and uninstalled the 7950 drivers in safe mode shut down the computer removed the old card and put in the 1660. When I boot my computer wants to recognize and use the 1660 but it doesnt have the drivers to do so so i get no signals to my monitors. If I remove the card I can use my i5 2500k integrated graphics to run something so that I can see the screen but cannot install the needed driverse.

I feel like I need to have the 1660 installed but be running through the integrated graphics so that I can install the drivers and restart but cannot see anything if the card is installed or figure out how to set its integrated graphics to default so that it "overpowers" my 1660 so that I can have the hardware installed and install the drivers while on integrated graphics in safe mode, restart and then "switch over".

Any ideas/advice as to what I am doing wrong? I am running windows 7 64 home with an ASROCK z68 mobo.

When I boot my computer wants to recognize and use the 1660 but it doesnt have the drivers to do so so i get no signals to my monitors.

NO signal without any drivers installed ? That sounds a bit odd. What does it say, under the DEVICE MANAGER settings ? "Microsoft basic display adapter", or some other thing. Did you properly plug in all the PCI-e cables to the GPU ?

What's the make and model of your PSU ? Make sure the card is installed on the primary PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot. Make sure the Monitor's CABLE is plugged to the GPU, and not the onboard graphics.

Last edited:
If I remove the card I can use my i5 2500k integrated graphics to run something so that I can see the screen but cannot install the needed driverse.

How can you install the GPU drivers, when you are booting your system via the mobo's integrated graphics processor ? Make sure the Monitor's CABLE is plugged to the GPU, and not the onboard graphics.

Last edited:

thugxcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Thank you for your response.

To answer your questions I am running a cooler master 650 W power supply. When I removed the 7950 it was using a six pin connector while the 1660 TI requires an eight pin connector. Luckily I had a 6+2 connector so I plugged in the two pin piece followed by the six pin piece directly into the card. Then I seated the card in the first PCI 3.0 slot and screwed the back plate down. I have two monitors both of which I connected to the 1660 TI. When I boot I essentially get two black monitors and they say that they have no input and go into power save mode.

When researching online it said that the motherboard will automatically detect any dedicated GPU and try to run through it rather than the integrated graphics card. That is what leads me to believe the 1660 is “overriding” The integrated GPU and not allowing me to see the screens. However when this is the case whether I plug the cables (which I assume you are referring to an HDMi DVI or VGA cords yes) into either the 1660 or the integrated GPU graphics ports I receive no signal to either of my monitors. If I remove the 1660 and plug the cables into the integrated GPU slots attached to the motherboard I will be able to see at least something on both monitors.

Initially I thought that if I was able to get the integrated GPU to essentially run while the 1660 was installed I could update the drivers restart and then essentially flip over to using the dedicated 1660 TI. Are you telling me that regardless of drivers installed or not I should at least be able to see something when either of the cables are connected through the 1660 i display port?

Should I work on getting an eight pin connector? Try some different power inputs with another 6+2 connector? Or what do you suggest? Should I always be running my monitors cables through the 1660? Is it possible that with a two monitor set up and no drivers installed that I am simply looking at what what essentially be monitor 2 which is not getting a signal or would I at least see something? My old card accepted a DVI and HDMI input for this dual monitor set up but since I have switched I now have to use a DVI to HDMI adapter for one monitor and a display port for another. I have a display port cable which I have yet to hook. It is my intention later to boot The computer and see if the fans on the 1660 TI run or I see any indication that it is receiving power and functioning from a hardware standpoint. If this is the case I will hook up that display port cable to both of the monitors and plug them into the display port input on the back of the 1660. The computer and see if the fans on the 1660 TI run or I see any indication that it is receiving power. If this is the case I will hook up that display port cable to both of the monitors and plug them into the display port input on the back of the 1660 to see if I am able to receive any visuals.

Thank you so much for any insight you can provide.

Last edited:

thugxcaliber

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
So to be honest I’m not quite sure what happened. Last night when I posted like I had said anytime I booted I gotten basically no display errors where both of my monitors would show up black. I decided to leave the system off and go to work and try it again later. Today when I got home from work and I went through my plan of looking to see whether or not the video card was even running after five or 10 seconds I saw a display on one of the screens. At that point I was able to boot into safe mode load my drivers restart install the new connections into the back of the 1660 Ti and I was all set. Perhaps you were right and the card was just not seated correctly and with the tension placed on it with the locking of the screws last night perhaps it’s needed. Not quite sure why and at this point I am just happy to have everything working. Thank you for everyone’s help.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.