[SOLVED] Switch motherboard for Intel or stick with AMD?

Jul 28, 2019
I’m going to make a confession: 3 years ago...I bought a pre-built PC off of the HP website. I’m sorry! I was a poor college student who needed to game a bit to take off some stress. As my chronic gaming addiction has taken over since I’m out of college now, I want a CPU upgrade. I play lots of Arma 3, and have heard Intel processors do generally better in Arma 3, but do I want to pay the extra 50-75$ just for a motherboard? No!

Incase your wondering, I bought the Elite HPE-112y, which uses AM3 sockets. So, should I invest in an intel motherboard, or generally do the sensible thing since my roommates like to not pay rent on time and get AM3 type processor?

Solution
I would not spend one dime on AM3 of any type. With that said, there are some astounding deals to be had on 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen that will run circles around anything you can do AM3. The important factor to consider in your situation is the likelihood that your case and PSU are proprietary. I didn't look, so verify.
You're better off building a whole new PC. Because you're looking at more than just a motherboard upgrade. You will need every component, CPU, motherboard, RAM, and maybe even PSU and GPU.

A Ryzen 2400g with 2x8gb 3000mhz RAM, a low cost b450 motherboard, 500gb SSD and $60 PSU with be lightyears ahead of what you have.

What's weird is that you say you bought that HP three years ago even though it was released almost 10 years ago.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would not spend one dime on AM3 of any type. With that said, there are some astounding deals to be had on 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen that will run circles around anything you can do AM3. The important factor to consider in your situation is the likelihood that your case and PSU are proprietary. I didn't look, so verify.

Solution
Jul 28, 2019
You're better off building a whole new PC. Because you're looking at more than just a motherboard upgrade. You will need every component, CPU, motherboard, RAM, and maybe even PSU and GPU.

A Ryzen 2400g with 2x8gb 3000mhz RAM, a low cost b450 motherboard, 500gb SSD and $60 PSU with be lightyears ahead of what you have.

What's weird is that you say you bought that HP three years ago even though it was released almost 10 years ago.

Never said I bought the newest one, haha.

I’ve been constantly upgrading it, I have a 1660 6Gb GPU, plus a 1 TB hard drive, so it’s not like rebuilding it is gonna be something I want to do.