[SOLVED] Switch not allowing speed

May 27, 2019
I have 500 MBpS speed coming into my home. The modem has 2 ports going out, one I have direct plugged directly into my computer, the other I have plugged into a 24 port 10/100/1000 Netgear switch. Bought it about 5 months ago. I will say that there is only 3 spots open on it. There is nothing that is connected to it that will connect to over 100 MBpS. My computer gets max speed. I rewired the house 6 months ago with Cat 6. Any ideas as to why the switch won’t broadcast more than 100?

Last edited:
Solution
It is unlikely it is only a modem since most ISP only give you a single IP address.

If you are REALLY sure you have checked all the cables and are really sure they are valid then toss the switch in the trash and buy a new one.

Like you said the switch will just select the fastest speed.

Still this is highly unlikely. Your pc is easy to see what speed the port really is running in the interface status. You need to see first if pc get a gigabit connection to the switch. Then force the pc to run at 100mbps in the nic settings.

Your goal here is to see what the lights look like on the switch. You need to see which port is causing the bottleneck. Is it the one to the end device or the one between the switch and the...
May 27, 2019
Did that with the same results. Both ports off the modem give off the high speeds, just anything coming out of the switch won’t have over 100. It is an unmanaged switch is why I am not understanding why it seems to be capped.

Look at the lights on the switch. Most you can tell if they are running at 100mbps or 1gbit. You are going to have to read the manual on this since it varies between devices.

Generally the connection is limited to 100mbps by a bad cable. The only other thing would be some issue with the port either in the switch or maybe in the router. There generally is nothing you can do if you have a bad physical port in equipment.

May 27, 2019
Not using a router, directly from the modem straight to the switch. It is a brand new modem, and like I said if I swap and put the 1 computer solo it hits the max speeds, and the switch stays at 100, and same if I swap them, all new cable, same cable I rewired the house with so if it was the cable the computer wouldn’t be hitting speeds. There isn’t a manual for an unmanaged switch. It is supposed to just automatically pick up the fastest speed.

It is unlikely it is only a modem since most ISP only give you a single IP address.

If you are REALLY sure you have checked all the cables and are really sure they are valid then toss the switch in the trash and buy a new one.

Like you said the switch will just select the fastest speed.

Still this is highly unlikely. Your pc is easy to see what speed the port really is running in the interface status. You need to see first if pc get a gigabit connection to the switch. Then force the pc to run at 100mbps in the nic settings.

Your goal here is to see what the lights look like on the switch. You need to see which port is causing the bottleneck. Is it the one to the end device or the one between the switch and the router.

It is still highly likely it is a cable. This is why professional installs use a meter to certify in wall cables. Cables can work on some devices but not others when they are just slightly out of specs. It can be a wire that is just slightly non making contact. Nobody can afford these meters for home use so you need to try to find what wire if any is not running at gigabit speeds.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS