Question Switch Not Receiving an IP from Router?

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
So... I originally had my router ran to just my computer but the guest network/firewall was congesting the network so bad that my latency was awful.

I now moved the router into the room with all the other stuff and have set up bandwidth limiting so that the guest network can only accumulate about 50% of both up and down stream, which has made my connection awesome.

So, my issue now is there is a front desk computer and I am pretty sure it is hooked up to a printer, credit card, time clock... There is a switch between it and the Comcast Gateway, when I plug that switch into my router it is unable to get an Internet connection. The switch is unmanaged so I figured it'd be just a quick plug and play type deal, but power cycling the switch and the router both comes up with no results, the router doesn't see the connected devices on the switch. I wanted to get this thing working with the router so that I could do further management of those computers as well.

Comcast Gateway - UPnP is off - Asus Router set as DMZ server.
........ Netgear GS608NA
................ Front Desk computer
................ Some other device?
........ Router is an ASUS RT-AC66U - UPnP is enabled, IPv6 is disabled
................ My computer
................ Ubiquiti Firewall
........................ Ubiquiti Switch
........................ Ubiquiti Cloud Key
........................ About 7 Ubiquiti Wireless AP's

The router has enough DHCP addresses as only 2 are being used. The only thing that I haven't really tried is setting the IPv6 to Passthrough and for some reason it doesn't seem like the Front Desk PC wants to let go of the 255.255.0.0 subnet and is failing to find the router's gateway. Even after power cycling, which if I plug it back into the modem I have to power cycle the Netgear Switch. An "ipconfig /release" and "/renew" comes up empty, too... and all IPv4/6 configurations on the front desk computer are set to auto.

I do not have access to the Ubiquiti stuff, but I know that the DHCP is controlled from the firewall and the switch is not passing through devices directly to the router, it is set to a manual IP of 192.168.50.5. And my computer is set to 192.168.50.2. The DHCP pool is ..*.2-10, which should leave 9 free IP's on the router left.

Any ideas as to why an un-managed switch would not be able to find the router and vice versa?

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Comcast Gateway - UPnP is off - Asus Router set as DMZ server.
........ Netgear GS608NA
................ Front Desk computer
................ Some other device?
........ Router is an ASUS RT-AC66U - UPnP is enabled, IPv6 is disabled
................ My computer
................ Ubiquiti Firewall
........................ Ubiquiti Switch
........................ Ubiquiti Cloud Key
........................ About 7 Ubiquiti Wireless AP's
I was going to make a quick little flow chart, but figured that would suffice. If you look at the the hierarchy you will see that it does not go ISP->Switch->Router... on one port you have a switch with 2 devices on another you have a router both connected to the Gateway.

So... thanks, for the lesson in common sense? As I know that the Switch does not have its own DHCP and the idea was to get it behind the router in order to be able to manage the other two devices that are connected to the switch... which is directly connected to the gateway.
m2KecEB.png

Oh and the router has a manually set local IP and is running as a DMZ. So, basically the question is why the router would not be able to see the two devices connected to the switch when I plug the switch in... even after a power cycle of the switch.

Last edited: