[SOLVED] Switch pro controller not working wired on windows 10

Fasih_

Reputable
Apr 5, 2017
I recently got a switch pro controller (by powerA) but it only works via bluetooth. In control panel devices and printers, it shows up as 2 different controllers depending on if its wirelessly connected or connected through USB. If I open the game controller testing thing, it shows no inputs being sent. Steam sees the controller as a generic controller and asks me to press certain buttons to figure out what the layout is but since the PC isn't receiving any input, it doesn't let me do that. Using it wireless works perfectly and steam sees it as a pro controller too. I was thinking it could be the cable being charge only but then the PC wouldn't know its a controller. Some people have also had issues but their solutions never worked for me. I also just updated windows to no avail. Seeing as some people do have their controllers working I think it could be a hardware issue.

Solution
I dont have a switch so idk if its possible to update firmware without one, I haven't got any other usb c cables or devices that use usb c so I cant test that. I might buy another usb c cable and see if it works then. It does technically make sense for it to be a charge only cable, because the controller was specifically made for switch, they did not design it for pc and nowhere did they say they did. Also, switch controllers use wireless, whether u are plugged in or not (I think) so data would be a waste I guess.
Not true data transfer is need for updating the controller along with other things.
and yes you should be able to update the controler firmware on pc. You will have to use their software inorder to do so properly though
I recently got a switch pro controller (by powerA) but it only works via bluetooth. In control panel devices and printers, it shows up as 2 different controllers depending on if its wirelessly connected or connected through USB. If I open the game controller testing thing, it shows no inputs being sent. Steam sees the controller as a generic controller and asks me to press certain buttons to figure out what the layout is but since the PC isn't receiving any input, it doesn't let me do that. Using it wireless works perfectly and steam sees it as a pro controller too. I was thinking it could be the cable being charge only but then the PC wouldn't know its a controller. Some people have also had issues but their solutions never worked for me. I also just updated windows to no avail. Seeing as some people do have their controllers working I think it could be a hardware issue.
Have you made sure the controller firmware is up to date?
Have you tried to switch cables yes charge only cables will still send partial data transfer signals... Otherwise how else will certian items know what charging values they need to use?

Fasih_

Reputable
Apr 5, 2017
Have you made sure the controller firmware is up to date?
Have you tried to switch cables yes charge only cables will still send partial data transfer signals... Otherwise how else will certian items know what charging values they need to use?
I dont have a switch so idk if its possible to update firmware without one, I haven't got any other usb c cables or devices that use usb c so I cant test that. I might buy another usb c cable and see if it works then. It does technically make sense for it to be a charge only cable, because the controller was specifically made for switch, they did not design it for pc and nowhere did they say they did. Also, switch controllers use wireless, whether u are plugged in or not (I think) so data would be a waste I guess.

Not true data transfer is need for updating the controller along with other things.
and yes you should be able to update the controler firmware on pc. You will have to use their software inorder to do so properly though

Solution