Switch problem mixing XP and W7

johneh77

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
I bought some switches last month and they seem to be fine except that I have one windows 7 system on it that the internet is unstable often disconnecting. We have to restart and switch ports etc. to get it to work for a while. Any ideas?
Can you update firmware on them? Cant find anything useful on the Cisco website.

Switch is Cisco sg90d-08

We bought 3 of them.

There are some things that can be defective and checing them first would help.
All cables are not the same and you can get a bad one with just one loose wire connection.
The lan ports can be defective and on a switch you just move to the next available one but on a computer you may just have the one, unless you have a motherboard that has two built in Lan ports.
The switches do have firmware updates and it's up to the manufacturer to provide them on thier support web page.
If your using multiple different ports on the switches for this computer and other computers do not have trouble then that points to the computer as the source of the problem.
The switches that you have are no longer manufactured by Cisco so support will be spotty with firmware and software downloads. I got the same result as you on the Cisco site. Just went round and round in circles and the one thing AI found was the end of life announcement on that switch.

johneh77

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
Its not the computer as we had trouble with one and changed to another and it is worse. When we hooked either directly to the router it was/is fine also, only a problem through a switch. We tried different switches too same thing as they are the same model.

I'm pretty sure we tried a different cable but maybe we should double check that.

My tech thinks its a conflict between W7 and XP but I don't know