Switch set up

Oct 3, 2018
If I use a TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch, do I just plug my computer in to it downstairs and then I will have fast, secure internet service from the modem and router upstairs?

Oct 3, 2018

Oct 3, 2018

Oct 3, 2018

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
You still have to run a cable....They don't magically connect. A switch does not have a wireless connection. It needs a cable to carry network data to it then it allows the other ports to access this connection. You could try getting a router(s) that work as a wireless network bridge but not all routers support this and to use this function routers at both ends must support it. I personally do not like trying to create a "bridge". They do not work well IMO. Bad connections and worse data rates. A cable is faster and more dependable.

Oct 3, 2018

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Sadly no. There are many options. I know folks who use powerline networking...so any plug socket acts like an internet connection but even those have data rate issues compared to Ethernet and still require a cable from the socket station (which has a Ethernet port) to your computer. Even had a buddy in san jose set up his lights to be used for networking but those data rates were even worse (one of those guys who would build something just to prove he could). At the end of the day a Ethernet cable is always best option for speed and reliability....wireless is great when you have coverage but that is the whole problem I am guessing. Your wireless doesn't cover you down stairs.

Oct 3, 2018

Oct 3, 2018
I actually don’t know that it doesn’t work downstairs, I am just scared I will unplug everything and it won’t work. I work from home and need to work :)

The switch is just something that directs the internet to the computer?

Thank you for all of your help!

In the early days of telephones, you would ring the switchboard operator, who would actually connect your call using a jumper wire. That is all a switch does--direct the connection to only the correct port.

The opposite is a hub, which broadcasts your message to all of the ports at the same time, like a splitter. Supposedly everyone else is supposed to ignore messages intended for someone else--but like a party line they can snoop or eavesdrop. So security is poor. Wifi is a hub too, but just encrypted.

Needless to say, with either a switch or a hub you will need a continuous wire to make a connection. If you own your house it's as easy as drilling two holes in an outside wall and running the wire outside along the side of the house.

Powerline isn't as reliable because you have two 110v branches to your home, and if both devices are on different branches, they will only connect while you are using a 220v appliance like a dryer. You can supposedly solve this with a device called a "phase coupler" but they don't always work. Plus theoretically any of your neighbors served by the same pole transformer might be able to snoop too, if they have the same equipment--a security issue.

If this is for work, you may want to pay to have this done. This is not trivial for newbies.

A ethernet switch box is like a TV cable splitter, all it does is SIGNAL_IN, MULTIPLE SIGNALS OUT, so u can hook up multiple devices to it, that's all it does, and SIGNAL_IN gotta come from somewhere, in the form of a cable.

Be careful about your mobile postings, you are posting blank replies.