Question Switch Setup

jlocasto

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
HI everyone. So I have general knowledge of setting up routers but as of now, I have 3 routers running in my house, and I am out of ports. I bought a Netgear GS316 switch, which has 16 ports on it. I want to make sure I set this up right...

My ISP is Fios, and it has 1GB connection running from outside into the Fios cable modem. That modem has 4 ports on it. I am running other routers off of that Fios router to expand my wired connections. I am trying to determine where exactly the switch can go so that I have more ports, and I also want to know if I can hook the existing routers to the switch as well, so we don't lose the WiFi access from those routers. I know it sounds very confusing, but I am basically asking if I can run a wire from the cable modem to the switch, then other routers into that switch as well. Thank you

The device you are calling a modem is likely a modem/router. You can hook a switch to this device if you like. You want to make all your other routers run as AP. You can then hook the switch to any of those AP. The reason to run it as a AP rather than a router is so all your devices are on one network in your house. If they never need to communicate to share files or something then the you can run them as routers but it is much simpler if you only have 1 router (the isp modem/router) in your house.

HI everyone. So I have general knowledge of setting up routers but as of now, I have 3 routers running in my house, and I am out of ports. I bought a Netgear GS316 switch, which has 16 ports on it. I want to make sure I set this up right...

My ISP is Fios, and it has 1GB connection running from outside into the Fios cable modem. That modem has 4 ports on it. I am running other routers off of that Fios router to expand my wired connections. I am trying to determine where exactly the switch can go so that I have more ports, and I also want to know if I can hook the existing routers to the switch as well, so we don't lose the WiFi access from those routers. I know it sounds very confusing, but I am basically asking if I can run a wire from the cable modem to the switch, then other routers into that switch as well. Thank you
Generally you would have 1 router with say 4 LAN and 1 WAN port. The modem plugs into the WAN and then each switch goes into the LAN ports. For most home users standard dumb 4 or 10 port switches are all you need

The Netgear is a dumb switch, there is nothing to configure.

An ethernet switch can be anywhere on the LAN SIDE of your network, that's the rule. What the dickens is the LAN SIDE u ask...

ISP ----> (WAN SIDE Public IP) ---> Modem/NAT DEVICE ---> (LAN SIDE, Private IP)

Another way of saying this is, where u want to plug the switch in, it must have a Private IP.

USAFRet

Titan

I also have FiOS.

Your new switch can go anywhere with a free ethernet port.

Which specific router do you have from Verizon?

jlocasto

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Nothing is working... I have the cable from fios running into the WAN port of the fios modem/ router. From there, I have a cable running to the switch, and all of my pc's wired to that switch, none of which are working.

Nothing is working... I have the cable from fios running into the WAN port of the fios modem/ router. From there, I have a cable running to the switch, and all of my pc's wired to that switch, none of which are working.

You can get issues that normally resolve themselves over time with DHCP. Your old setup had a NAT and DHCP on each router using different subnets. So when you move from pc from one router to another the client might have the old interface configured still. You can release your ip and renew it in Windows. It should get a new one on it's own, but maybe not right away. Just unplugging it and plugging it back in might make it renew.

If you want to check it look at your IP, gateway, and DNS. Log into the router it's on and see what it's GW is. DNS should match the GW or use a public one like 1.1.1.1. The IP should be in the same subnet as the GW.

USAFRet

Titan
Was it like that before?
What was the wire coming into the FiOS modem/router? Coax or ethernet?
Coax is the default installation, but it can be ethernet. If ethernet, that functionality needs to be enabled on the FiOS ONT box.