• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Switch suddenly not connecting to internet

yian11

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
So about two nights ago my internet on my desktop stopped working (ethernet). Usually the problem would be solved by simply restarting the network switch however this time it didn't work.

I'd like to note that before that it happened almost once a day so I unplugged one of the ethernet cables on my switch (which probably caused closed loops or something) and everything went back to normal and I didn't have the issue until now.

So I wanted to check what happened so I unplugged all the cables on the switch except the cable which connects to the router (which has both wi-fi and ethernet working properly) and to my laptop. I tried changing which ports are connected to which cable on both the switch and the router but to no avail; the laptop still doesn't connect to the internet.

I will also add that the light on the switch's port which connects to the router does not light up, I don't know if this is how it should be normally or not.

So what could be the reason for this and how to fix it?

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS