Switch to 4930k

ZachSense

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Hi I recently inherited a system with a i7 4930k (previously used as a server) and I was wondering if it would be worth the switch over my i7 4790 (non K). If I do i'll probably overclock it because it has a h100i already installed, so count in any advantage that may have.

Thanks for any advice you leave,

Zach

Solution
I see. Should be fine based on that info. Coincidentally, that's the same board I was using. Bought mine right at launch way back in the end of 2011. It was crazy expensive even by today's pricing. Think it was $500 if I remember. Great board that worked flawless for my needs. Very easy to OC with. I think I ran my 3930k at stock for about a week, then had it OC'd to 4.5Ghz constant for about 3 yrs before upgrading again.
They both will perform nearly the same with the 4790 having slightly better single core performance but the 4930 having more. Right now that wont help so much for gaming but if you plan on streaming or doing cpu intensive productivity work then the 4930 is the way to go. Personally I would just leave the 4930 in the computer and sell the 4790 if you have no use for it or if you choose vise versa.

Going to a 6 Core 12 Thread could be helpful if you multi-task, stream, ect. Your current setup does have an IPC advantage(Haswell vs. Ivy Bridge). That said, if you intend to OC, you could overcome that slight disadvantage. Does the inherited system support overclocking? I had a previous X79 setup w/ 3930k Sandy Bridge-E. Very easily OC'd it to 4.5Ghz all-core and ran it that way for years. Just recently sold to a friend at work. Be aware that the Ivy Bridge-E CPUs run quite warm if I recall when OC'd. I ran 3930k in a custom loop for those years.

ZachSense

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015

It came with a h100i so thermals shouldn't be a problem. I also just found out that the system was actually supposed to be used for editing videos at my work but they abandoned it for some reason and its been in the closet since it was built in 2014 or 2015. so it really hasn't seen much use at all. The board it has is an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme.

I see. Should be fine based on that info. Coincidentally, that's the same board I was using. Bought mine right at launch way back in the end of 2011. It was crazy expensive even by today's pricing. Think it was $500 if I remember. Great board that worked flawless for my needs. Very easy to OC with. I think I ran my 3930k at stock for about a week, then had it OC'd to 4.5Ghz constant for about 3 yrs before upgrading again.

Solution